knife or a drill ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knife or a drill ???

Hi there! We found this piece on a river gravel bar in Mid Missouri. I'm hoping someone can help identify it. Thanks so much!
    Last edited by MoGarde; 12-09-2019, 04:37 PM.

Really interesting piece you found there! I doubt it's a drill, but I'd trust one of the more seasoned Midwest members before me. My guess is hafted knife but that's just a guess! Cool find!
    Last edited by utilized flake; 12-08-2019, 08:16 PM.
    North Carolina

Comment

• MoGarde
      MoGarde commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! It's so different from anything i have found before. Thought I would see if anyone else had seen anything quite like it. I thought it might be a little to wide to be a drill but wasn't sure. Thank you again!

• utilized flake
      utilized flake commented
      Editing a comment
      For what it's worth, it looks to have been resharpened on the right side, and if it was symmetrical at one time I could see it as a drill, either way it does look old! I look forward to what others think!

Wore out and discarded corner tang blade. A rare find, congrats...JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• MoGarde
      MoGarde commented
      Editing a comment
      Really? Wow. Very cool! Thank you

I think tang knife as well, loved to death.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Has a used up Dalton to me.
      SE IA

Comment

• MoGarde
        MoGarde commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow! That's exciting. Thank you for your help!

Looks like a nice resharpened Dalton Family to me as well . Just going be the base .

Comment

• MoGarde
        MoGarde commented
        Editing a comment
        Makes sense! I found this statement online. "They are distinctive artifacts, having concave bases with "ears" that sometimes flare outward (Fagan 2005)." ' These tools not only served as points but also as saws and knives. They were often changed in form and function because the hunters would sharpen the points over and over and would eventually turn them into knives then chisels or scrapers.

I can see how they could have used it as a knife as it was sharpened done. Thank you for you help!

Yes the Dalton thought is a valid one for sure. It would be really cool to have something that old that was used as for multi purposes. It sure had some use to it. Cool find man.
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• MoGarde
        MoGarde commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks man!

Any chance of getting a pic of both sides
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• MoGarde
        MoGarde commented
        Editing a comment
        Sure! Posted a couple more. Thanks!

Great tool. You would also see radial wear on the business end if it were a drill. Most "drills" I have seen in collections are knives...
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• MoGarde
        MoGarde commented
        Editing a comment
        Got it! I'm still learning. Thank you so much for the information!

Are the sides on the longer section ground? Maybe could have been used as a spokeshave?

Comment

• MoGarde
        MoGarde commented
        Editing a comment
        To be honest, it's hard for me to tell. Both sides are worn. I'm thinking it's been in that river quite a long time. I posted a couple of more pictures. Thank you!

Nice artifact save. The base does look like a Dalton. I would check that area of the creek/river again..........

Comment

• MoGarde
        MoGarde commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! Good advice. Think I’ll head back to the river again this weekend. Thanks again

The flaking shows much better on the other side I see some faint long flaking so it could be a water worn Dalton I guess. If its quartzite its going to be hard to feel if it has been grounded or not. The water can smooth that type of material so you won't be able to feel it.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• MoGarde
        MoGarde commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s great to hear! Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge. I’ve learned a lot.

Looks like a Dalton to me, also. Looks to have been used as a knife. it's not in its prime but any Dalton find is a good find, for sure.

Comment

• MoGarde
        MoGarde commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! Looks like they got their use out of it for sure! I /m excited. My oldest find so far!
    Working...
    X