Smoker! ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoker! ID?

Hey y’all! Found a smoker today in Iredell Co, NC. Can anyone help with ID? Yadkin maybe? It’s a bit thick and the curvature has me a bit thrown off. That extra long ear has me stumped too. Thanks!
    North Carolina

Out of my area , nice find... Congrats!
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I think you're probably correct on the type by the flaking. It is very well made the ear might of broken and then was reworked or it could of been made that way. Needless to say its very nice, congrats
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• PointHound
        PointHound commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. Looks like nicely made Yadkin with a reworked ear. Nice find. That's another type I have been wanting to find.

It's very cool.
      California

Comment

Smaller triangles are called uwharries in NC smaller than uwharries are called Vincent points or Clements. But that's splitting hairs as I would just call it a rhyolite arrow point. Probably real close to contact in age, 500 ybp plus or minus some centuries! I have found a few with that curvature within the triangle! Great find, that should case up nicely!
        Last edited by utilized flake; 12-09-2019, 01:26 AM.
        North Carolina

Comment

Really nice triangle would love to find one .
          great grab ..

Comment

Beautiful find thehunter123 I struggle with the ID of our triangles. At first glance I'm thinking it is a smaller Yadkin or possibly a Caraway. Just my thoughts definitely could be wrong. One thing I know for sure it is a great find congratulations!
            N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Nice. Find ..congrats...beauty of a triangle some of mine here in Connecticut have the extended ear too....
            SW Connecticut

Comment

I love the flaking on it. It looks like a repro of a shark tooth. Nice little grab there. Hard to say if it was offset like that intentionally or not. It looks like it may have been.
              The chase is better than the catch...
              I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

The Society for Georgia Archaeology shows Yadkins similar to yours and state they are from 1.5" to 2" long. and the Formative Cultures of the Carolina Piedmont shows some similar to yours so if is 1.5" long or longer I would assume Yadkin shorter they discuss Caraway Triangle.
                South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Working...
                X