Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help with these IdentificationsPlease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help with these IdentificationsPlease?

I found these 2 pieces in a shallow creek (sometimes dry) in Morgan County Indiana on private land with permission. I am posting a pic with a tape measure of both of them so you can see the size. I first thought they were a type of stone but with some cleaning, I do think that they are a type of metal or copper? They both have flat edges and handles but both are heavily rusted. Both look to have had heavy use. The smaller ax type has a wave with a groove but flat on the back minus rust wear. Any help will greatly be appreciated in advance Thank You!
    Lisa Indiana

Welcome to the forum Lisa.

Sorry but those are not artefacts. Those are sedimentary rocks with odd shapes and - for one of them - there are undulating shapes of a kind generally known as 'flute-casts' which are typically created by water flowing over the sediment from which the rock has formed. They're probably sandstone or siltstone and those frequently have iron-staining (with the appearance of rust) as a result of iron-rich goundwater percolating through them.

Keep looking though, and keep picking up anything that catches your eye.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• LKR
      LKR commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you painshill for your help. I did forget to mention that they do not react to an acid test as most sedimentary rocks do.

• painshill
      painshill commented
      Editing a comment
      No you didn't mention that, but it's incorrect to say that most sedimentary rocks react to an acid test. Those which are composed of or cemented by carbonates or other calcium derivatives will react. Limestone or calcited sediments for example. Sandstones are composed of silica (usually in the form of quartz or feldspar) and usually also silica-cemented, so those won't react at all.

Hello LKR and welcome to the site. That info from Painshill is about as good as you can get. I'm in N'Eastern Illinois right next door and about 300 something million years ago we were covered by a shallow sea. You might already know this. Our areas were connected by the Illinois, Michigan basin. I also find those kind of pieces in my area as well also some cool fossils to go along with them. Again welcome to the site.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• LKR
      LKR commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi BabaOriley, I grew up in east-central Illinois, Armstrong. The area in Martinsville where it is pretty hilly I have read was created by the flood from the ice age. I have found some of the oldest shell fossils in that area. Most say can only be found in Michigan but got there by the flood. So yes I am aware of what you are referring to. Happy new year to you all!
Working...
X