Triangular Shaped Burlington Chert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triangular Shaped Burlington Chert

Would anyone be able to provide some insight on this triangular point with what looks like parallel flaking? It is 3 1/2" by 1 1/2" at the base. The base is not broken. It. was found in Missouri near St. Charles. It looks to be made out of Burlington Chert. The only similar shape that I found was a Madison which is too small, so I don't know if it was something else that was worked to this shape. I appreciate your feedback.
    Attached Files

Looks like a nice archaic knife form to me. Awesome find !

Comment

Maybe a Rice shallow notch?? Sweet find!!

Comment

Thriller killer! Love the oblique transverse flaking on that point! Reminds me of an archaic knife with the basal thinning and shallow notching, looking forward to see what others think.

Comment

I'm not sure what to call it except wonderful. I've only found one big knife like that in 8 years.

Comment

Ditto surface minus the find ..

Comment

Thank you everyone for your feedback as I am still learning a lot of the terminology. I am really excited to have found such a great piece of history!

Comment

don't know, but very very nice! congratulations.

Comment

• MoGarde
                  MoGarde commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you!

Killer find! Looks like a Fredrick lanceolate but it is a little too far east for that I think. It is in the edge of the distribution range for a copena triangular but in not so sure it is that either.
                Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• MoGarde
                  MoGarde commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was leaning toward Copena triangular but I'm with you, just not sure....
              Working...
              X