Found 2 pieces now I'm hooked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found 2 pieces now I'm hooked!

I have recently become a lover of ancient native American artifacts. Its mind blowing to think the piece in your hand was also in the hand of a man or woman possibly thousands of years ago. That's incredible to me! Anyhow to the point, i found these pieces in the central Louisiana area in a lake that had been drained. In my opinion I've got a turtleback scraper and a knife of some sort. The turtle is just larger than a quarter at 1 1/2"× 1 3/4". The other is triangular in shape almost heart shaped at 1 1/2"× 2 1/4". Thanks in advance for your thoughts on these 2 pieces and any advice on my new obsession. Lol y'all have a wonderful day!

Nice finds and welcome to the site. It is amazing holding that ancient piece in hand and wondering who, why etc..
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Carrielea
      Carrielea commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes indeed! It can take you to another time... it's really awesome. I'd gone out hunting with a friend several times and never found anything so it was just boring to me. I almost didn't want to go again but im so glad i did. I dont care that they're not arrowheads because they're still just as precious. So I've gone from bored tag along to ancient Indian artifact enthusiast!

That is GREAT that you are hooked! We all know the feeling. Happy that you can see the work on the pieces. Only advice is: Keep Lookin Down!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Carrielea
      Carrielea commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny that you say that because I am always looking down and that got me lost one day. I got seperated from my friend and because I was only looking at the ground on our long trek thru the lake I didn't know how to get back out. I trudged thru a bog I'm sure was equal to the Labraha tar pits and almost choked out by a vine going thru weeds taller than me. So the moral to the story is.. look up every once in awhile..😉

Yeah but when I look up...that's when I trip over my feet! Welcome to the greatest lithics show on earth!
    North Carolina

Comment

Congrats.
      I love your responses.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Carrielea
        Carrielea commented
        Editing a comment
        Well Bruce, let me tell ya, I've been both. To be a finder wouldn't you have to first be a loser? Lol of course not, I'm just being silly but I am definately both, which makes me a winner baby!!😉

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Bravo, not many can say that they are both.

Welcome from Connecticut. Nice first finds....yes tools are just as important as arrowheads..in ancient toolkits
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Welcome Carrielea! You’ve joined a wonderful site, and will see and learn incredible things!
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Hmmm soooo, your hooked ? Nice finds ! Try to stay on the shoreline, those ancient shores hold the past... Those bogs no good for the leg muscles and stink too.....Walkie Talkie , not good to be lost. Myself I don’t like to go alone and your area I’d think it would be best to have a partner .. Luck be with ye !
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Carrielea
            Carrielea commented
            Editing a comment
            Live and learn right? Its a huge lake but where we were was near my friends house so i had an idea where i was i just didn't know where the trail was so i just made my own lol which wasn't one at all. Anyhow what's cool about it is that its fairly new, when you're thinking in arrowhead terms and you can't see the old river unless the lake is drained. So following the bank is impossible except for now! So fun! I'm gonna add a couple pictures because i think y'all would appreciate the history and the beauty of it. Thanks for walkie talkie tip. Good one!

Carrie , I feel just like you do running those thoughts through my head . You find artifacts but you do wonder who why when right .
          cool finds , nice little scrappers .
          Sounds like you hit the panic button for a bit .
          BTW have you ever been to the La. B tar pits ? So crazy to see tar pit in the middle of a big city . That gets the mind going .
          Check out the projectile points on our site for your area . Get that new enthusiasm going with a head full of information .

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Never seen tar pits, but seen some stuff found when they were trying to build subways, and shut down. Makes shiver bumps, huh Tam?.... you in right place, Carrielea!

• Carrielea
            Carrielea commented
            Editing a comment
            No I haven't ever been to the tar pits, I was maybe being a tad bit dramatic for the sake of my story lol. I have always wanted to go tho. I imagine it's wild! I absolutely will check out the site for those points you mentioned and thanks so much for info. I want to learn all i can so, right on!

Beautiful find definitely something to be proud of it is one fine looking tool it is a scraper were this one there is many to be found congrats

Comment

Welcome from Iowa. Good 1st find. I'm sure you will have many good finds.
            SE IA

Comment

Great first finds welcome aboard!
              N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Congrats and welcome! Addicting isn't it.
                keep on keepin after

Comment

Nice finds Carrie and welcome to the site....look forward to seeing future finds.
                  Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Excelent finds! Welcome to the hobby and welcome to the best arrowheads and stone artifacts forum on the internet.
                    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Working...
                    X