Need some opinions on this 'knife' looking point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some opinions on this 'knife' looking point

Found this one walking the washout in a field about half mile from Wheeler lake, north AL.

Sorry for the double post on that

Comment

Nice find and welcome!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Is that a pipe creek? Killer!
        North Carolina

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Gosh LizFlake, types way too hard for me, unless look EXACTLY like pic in book.... like this guy! Thank you!
          Y’all try find more “textbook-examples”, please, and I may learn a type or two yet!

Now that's not a rock, nice artifact. Great color
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Knife, re-knapped more on one side, a common trait for knives.
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Something like a penny for scale ?
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Thanks for the input! After finding it I'm hooked I believe! The other side of the point is a complete different color

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
                Lindenmeier-Man commented
                Editing a comment
                Very nice blade, congrats.Hooked you are !

Comment

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                And beautiful to boot!

Exactly what Tom said . And what a great find just beautiful lithic .

Comment

Looks like a Baker's Creek or something similar to me, the notch being less noticeable on one side is just and indication of being used as a knife. I have several examples of knives/tools with type of asymmetric resharpening were one side of the blade was preffered over the other. If you look closely though you can clearly see were the hafted portion of the base starts and stops creating a stem.

I don't believe it's the Pipe Creek type wich is a pretty rare form from the Mississippian period. Those were made in the same way Mississippian period arrow points were from a flake, thin and generally smaller with a clear notch on one corner but lacking one on the other. It's thought that they were possibly used for processing feathers for fletching arrows.

Cool find nonetheless though, thanks for sharing!
                Last edited by Kyflintguy; 12-27-2019, 02:15 PM.
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                  Kyflintguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I will also add after I posted this I went to a popular point typology reference site to look at what was said about Pipe Creek and IMHO they mis-typed many of the pictured examples they showed for reference with types that were given the same preferential resharpening treatment I explained above.

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Does that mean don’t hafta take giant step backwards?… coz was lil’ tickled with self that could see such resemblance, and proud thought “bet I recognize that sucker next time....”.....

• Kyflintguy
                  Kyflintguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol Cecilia I just wrote about a 2 page answer to your comment and lost it... but long story short no major setback nessacary. It's all just a matter of opinion based on an inherently flawed system of typology we imperfect humans created thousands of years after the fact to make it all fit into our categorized little world at our fingertips we enjoy now... I may be wrong too, it just seems to fit in one hole better than another based on my experience learning about both. That said I'm often hesitant to make a call because there is so much we don't know and understand about the past and all the variables that come into play with identifying and categorizing projectile points when the reality is there was no barriers or limitations to how someone decided to make his or her sharp rock on any given day.
                  Last edited by Kyflintguy; 12-27-2019, 08:07 PM.
              Working...
              X