Are some of these tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are some of these tools?

These came from north central Arkansas, near the MO border in the same spot where early to late archaic points were found:

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...tify-this-site

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...akes-and-tools

A road runs along side this area on a hill next to a stream, so some chipping maybe due to car tires. There are so many flakes in the area that I am suspicious of everything I see that stands out. Looking for opinions on which of these, if any, are tools (or discarded attempts at tools).Click image for larger version

Name:	5CCEE08B-206C-4E8C-BB0E-EF8305656653.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	412446

Click image for larger version  Name:	CAD8CF86-51A4-492C-8B55-0FFD3B749833.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	55.3 KB ID:	412444Click image for larger version  Name:	C1A53CB9-C348-49BC-B708-6B4AB5517473.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	55.3 KB ID:	412445
    Last edited by BoilerMike; 12-28-2019, 01:49 AM.
    Central Indiana

#1 - I can’t tell if the edges are worked or just naturally chipped. It’s got a pretty gnarly cortex edge, it’s a pretty thick hunk of chert, but that one edge really has my attention.
    Attached Files
    Central Indiana

Comment

#2 - I feel almost confident this is the middle section of a broken point, but I don’t understand why two sides aren’t straighter. It looks more like something in person than in the photos. Maybe it was reworked several times before it fell apart? Maybe I’m mistaken. It’s a lovely lavender, waxy color in person that doesn’t come through in the photos.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BoilerMike; 12-28-2019, 02:56 AM.
      Central Indiana

Comment

#3 - i’m not sure if this is anything, but there are some very small red dots that remind me of photographs of red ochre stained pieces I’ve seen online. I took some of these pictures inside and some outside, none seem to really capture the red color well though. Is it pretty rare to find anything with red ochre on it in this part of the country? One edge almost looks worked a little bit - is it?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BoilerMike; 12-28-2019, 02:50 AM.
        Central Indiana

Comment

#4 - this one looked to me like it had something drilled out of it, could this have been a fire starter or an attempt to make a bead or something?
          Attached Files
          Central Indiana

Comment

#5 - I don’t think this is anything, maybe not even a flake, but I wanted to get a second opinion.
            Attached Files
            Central Indiana

Comment

#6 - it’s hard to see from the photos, but this actually looks like the broken-off tip of a point to me. Not sure.
              Attached Files
              Central Indiana

Comment

#7 - The color doesn’t show up in this piece, but it’s a beautiful candy apple color - Jasper? I’m also not sure, but it may be the middle section of a broken point because it looks more worked to me than most of the others. Seems to be more flat on one side.
                Attached Files
                Central Indiana

Comment

#8 - I don’t know what to make of this one. I actually found another one that looks almost identical to it, can’t tell if this is natural or pressure flakes along the edges that have been eroded over time.
                  Attached Files
                  Central Indiana

Comment

#9 - another where the color in the photos don’t do it justice, this is purple and white. it almost looks intentionally narrowed along three of the edges and snapped off on the other, fairly thick where it’s snapped but thin along the rest. But I can’t quite tell if it’s worked or natural.
                    Attached Files
                    Central Indiana

Comment

#10 - peaches and cream colored chert! It almost looks like an attempt at a tool, but could just as well be natural. Thoughts?
                      Attached Files
                      Central Indiana

Comment

#11 - I almost threw this one back, but figured what the heck, any chance this is anything? even a flake?
                        Attached Files
                        Central Indiana

Comment

#12 - same here, it almost looks like it could be something, but I also thought it might be nothing and almost threw it back. but then looking at it again, it might be something :-)
                          Attached Files
                          Central Indiana

Comment

That's a lot of pics Mike. I liked a couple that I thought looked pretty good. Looks like there was activity there just have to find where. Seeing it's a road it might be hard to determine
                            NW Georgia,

Comment

Is the road a gravel road?
                              Michigan Yooper
                              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
                              X