What era are these from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What era are these from?

Hi all, new here. My husband and I started artifact hunting very recently and have become hooked quite quickly! A couple of weeks ago I got my first real find (besides flint chips) and am curious as to what era they may be from. I've studied the overhead website and have done multiple searches, scanning through many photos but still cannot come to any definitive conclusions on my own. At any rate these were found under a rock overhang on private property in which we have permission to dig, about 8 inches deep in the soil, in Dekalb County, Alabama just outside of the Henagar city limits on Sand Mountain. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

Great first finds - nice to find them in situ where tide and till hasn't moved them about.
    Looks as though they were both resharpened: I'm leaning towards the Adena (Woodland 3,000 - 1,300 B.P.) & Nodena (Late Mississippian 600 - 400 B.P.) types.

Adena Vanishing Stem
    http://www.projectilepoints.net/Poin...Vanishing.html

Lerma, Nodena, and Flint River Spike types
    http://www.projectilepoints.net/Sear...nceolates.html

http://www.projectilepoints.net/Sear...ma_Search.html
    Last edited by Olden; 12-29-2019, 07:41 PM.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Those are killer! Can't wait to see what else comes from that site!
      North Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Olden View Post
        Great first finds - nice to find them in situ where tide and till hasn't moved them about.
        Looks as though they were both resharpened
        Thanks so much for the info! Do you mean that these arrowheads were reused multiple times then?

Comment

Originally posted by utilized flake View Post
          Those are killer! Can't wait to see what else comes from that site!
          Thanks! I was pretty excited! I've been back once but didn't have much time, still left there with a lot of flint pieces, a big chunk of flint, and a few items that appear to be small tools made out of flint such as scrapers perhaps? Definitely worked on both sides, one edge flatter and very sharp, indents where fingers can rest comfortably, etc. I'll have to photograph them as well and see what y'all think sometime this week. Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty and I'm torn between digging or taking my camera out (Amateur\hobbyist wildlife photographer)

Comment

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            Be aware that all land is owned by someone so if you are digging make sure you have permission to do so from the land owner. Irresponsible/illegal digging by novice or any collectors on municipal , city, state or federal property makes all collectors look bad. Just saying. Have fun but be sure to have permission. That flint one looks like a lerma to me.

Awesome finds...i agree in that i cant wait to see what else you find....and thats what olden means....he believes they have been used and reshaped for continual use
          Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Yep, what Olden said...and Benji seconded, well used, resharpened, and well loved artifacts. Those are very nice finds., can’t wait to see what else you uncover.
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
            X