West Texas Finds On Family Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Texas Finds On Family Land

Hello all! I'm newbie here so forgive any unknown forum rule breaking. I've got a few pieces I'd like to have some opinions on. If its's good with ya'll I'll jut add the photos to this post. I have numerous items but I'll start with a few. My desire is to learn about the peoples who made them. I have no interest in selling them.
    All items were found around the same location on our ranch in Gaines County, Texas which is 80 miles south of Lubbock and 75 miles north of Midland.
    Thanks ya'll! Hope you're having a wonderful New Year. Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	81.8 KB ID:	414700 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	68.7 KB ID:	414701 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	72.4 KB ID:	414702 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	76.0 KB ID:	414703 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	414704
    Last edited by Keg; 01-06-2020, 07:18 PM. Reason: Additional Photos

Cedar Lake is surrounded by NA sites..I’ve hunted most of Gaines... #1 End scraper, translucent high grade Edwards flint. #2 Deadman’s point yellow to base red Tecovas jasper. #3 A Grey basalt core flake... JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      #4 Edwards plateau scraper, white part original cortex .And #5 Another grey Basalt core flake...

You know my location! Sweet! I'm not far from Cedar Lake but I'm very close to Mckenzie Lake. Thank you for the info! There are two more photos as well. You may have to click the photos to see them. I had a bit of trouble uploading so hopefully they're there. Do you know anything about them?

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      I don’t see the photos. Yes McKenzie Randall S. Lake ( aka “Bad Hand”) is a good area too. I can name and type most any artifact you have or will ever find in the Panhandle... Welcome to the site !

Thank you! You covered them all. I will most definitely be using this site and most likely you (haha!) as a resource. I've found a book that indicates a natural spring on our property that most likely hasn't been fed in well over 100 years. I do know the approximate location and it's there where I find the bulk of our artifacts. If there was natural water low in salt I'd assume it to be a hot site. Now if I can just find the exact location!

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      If you see burnt rocks in the sand around the lake, slow down. The artifacts will be there. They are grey, round caliche . The once white caliche will be grey from burning buffalo dung. The only source of fuel the NA people had to use. They had to be careful not to start a grassfire... That would run off their game... Luck be with ye Keg !

• Keg
      Keg commented
      Editing a comment
      You just answered two questions that have been driving me crazy. One is what the water looked like as far as drinkability prior to us draining it all. Two is the grey in the burnt rock. I had no idea it was from buffalo dung.You sound like a man who knows his West Texas. If you're ever in the area give me ring. I'd love to buy you dinner and pick your brain.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      I would be happy to meet with you, no food necessary... You would need a tablet to write down all of the artifact hunting tactics that took me over 30 years to learn!(The hard Way ) I have hunted artifacts for almost 50 years, I like to walk. Now that I’m older, about 8 miles is all I’m good for in walking, where I use to could walk all day. I can make it so you will never come in empty handed ! I’m thinking your a younger man, that’s good ! Artifact hunting is the most satisfying and enjoyable hobby that is totally innocent ! Your are in the heart of ( Because of the sand ) some of the most fruitful hunting in Texas. Gaines Co. is #2 in the state for Clovis finds. In that, the NA people lived here until historic times and everything is in the sand. As far as the water goes , they did not drink from the lakes... They hunted around the lakes. They knew full well of Montezuma’s revenge. The animals they hunted drank from the lakes and defecated there too..The NA simply found wet sand and dug until the hole filled with fresh water. I will PM you my cell number. Plz don’t call me after 9 pm, I’m out and up at around 5 :30 am.
      Last edited by Lindenmeier-Man; 01-06-2020, 10:02 PM. Reason: Sp

Welcome to the forum Keg
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Keg
      Keg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you much

Texas is a great place to find artifacts............they have places you can dig for a fee. You're just finding the tip of the iceberg with those finds. Keep searching.

Comment

Welcome to the forum keg....you have some nice finds there....thanks for sharing
      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Welcome, Keg!
        Rhode Island

Comment

Welcome to the forum Keg...you quickly stumbled upon the best source for west Texas artifacts available...JJ knows some stuff!!
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Editing a comment
            Ty Sir, I know this area fairly well but I’m always looking to learn anything and everything from other members..

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            I knew when I started reading his initial post....I was thinking “I Hope JJ reads this” and BAM...I got my wish.👍👍

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Editing a comment
            Lol

Welcome from Connecticut....nice artifacts man...JJs a walking. Talking. Reference for Texas stuff
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Welcome Keg! Glad to have you
            South Dakota

Comment

Hi Keg. I want to add my welcome to our forum. Looks like you got some excellent info from JJ.

Comment

Im actually very familiar with cedar lake. I used to work out there and found flint just like that off the lake.

Comment

Welcome to the forum from SE Iowa and good luck finding the pointy things.
                  SE IA

Comment

Working...
                  X