Dalton or Hardaway-Dalton? found yesterday in North Kingstown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dalton or Hardaway-Dalton? found yesterday in North Kingstown

This is the sweetest point I have ever found. Found yesterday at a multi occupation site in NK, Rhode Island. Not sure of identification though
    Any help would be greatly apprectiated

Real nice find ..congrats....I'm thinking that's an otter Creek point
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Jhutchins
      Jhutchins commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks!

That's a sweet point. Looks like a gold colored quartzite. I would lean toward Otter Creek as well, but keep in mind something Jeff Boudreau says in his expanded typology guide for New England: "(Brewerton Side Notched) notches and tangs are weaker than those seen on Otter Creek points. However, there does appear to be overlap between smaller Otter Creek and larger Brewerton Side-Notched points. This underscores the limitations of typology. Without an Otter Creek date there is no way to identify points that fall within the range of overlap"(p. 73, "A New England Typology of Native American Projectile Points"). Surface collected artifacts are found absent a datable context, and so that's part of what Jeff meant by "the limitations of typology". Still, Otter Creek is quite possible, although most of the time the side notches will be deeper/more pronounced in an Otter Creek.

Great find by any name, though. I've always loved that strain of quartzite....
    Rhode Island

Comment

Boy howdy that’s a nice point, bet it feels good in hand...
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Jhutchins
        Jhutchins commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it does!! Thanks definitely my greatest find yet

I would go with Otter Creek on that point .
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Jhutchins
        Jhutchins commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks

It's like long and narrow favors Otter Creek, and shallow notching favors Brwerton Side-Notched, but I'd lean Otter Creek as well.....
      Rhode Island

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        I find that the Brewerton Side Notch has more of a straight to convex base where as the Otter Creek is concave. Another distinguishing factor on Otter creek in my opinion is the ears are wider than the point on many I have seen and they are more lobed where as Brewerton SN look sharper at the ears and more in line with the lateral blade edges. Just some observations . I have actually been enjoying this link here for some great drawings and information of known North American types , its called Archaeowiki . https://www.archaeowiki.com/index.php?title=Armature There is a tremendous amout of great information available on this page. It seems to be a work in progress. Some of the links to point types go to blank pages. But the ones that are available I find to be spot on.

May have been sharpened once or twice to reduce the depth of notching?? It’s a beautiful point! Congrats! I vote Otter Creek as well.

Comment

• Jhutchins
        Jhutchins commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you!

Thats a beauty man!

Comment

• Jhutchins
        Jhutchins commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you!

Thank you!!! Much appreciation to Hoss and CMD for the identification info. I have a feeling it may even be related to the dalton/dalton-greenbrier/breckenridge complex but I am only a beginner and I take any opinions with great appreciation so thanks again for your help

Comment

That is the most pretty, I am guessing orange quartzite I have seen. Very nice artifact!
        keep on keepin after

Comment

• Jhutchins
          Jhutchins commented
          Editing a comment
          thank you!

Very nice find, and excellent information from Charlie and Hoss.
        South Dakota

Comment

• Jhutchins
          Jhutchins commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

I think I found an abandoned preform a month or so ago in the same spot made from the exact same peach colored quartzite sharing the same concave/curve at the base only it wasn't finished. The broken tip had a weird looking cross section.
        Maybe it was abandoned due to a mistake..... What a unique find for the history!

Comment

That's a.cool find ...same material from the same spot ...it does look like it was gonna become a point just like the other. Good educational artifacts

​​​​
          SW Connecticut

Comment

• Jhutchins
            Jhutchins commented
            Editing a comment
            I appreciate that! Thanks

Outstanding.

Looks like it's made from cake mix.
          California

Comment

• Jhutchins