Small creek found point in Wake Co, NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small creek found point in Wake Co, NC

My son and I just got back from a hike in Wake County North Carolina. There is a large creek that runs through the area and we found a very water worn point that I’m having a little difficulty IDing.

It’s about 33mm long with a short, wide stem. The stem appears to have a small notch in it. Overall, it reminds me of some of the examples of the stanley point on the projectilepoints site, but I’m no expert.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Mike
    Attached Files

Now that's a gravel bar on my dreams. I could spend hours looking on that thing. Creek worn but might be a Lecroy
    NW Georgia,

Comment

I expected the bar to have more modern debris because of an old mill just up the creek but except for a few small pieces of glass, I didn’t see anything else. This point was totally unexpected.

It’s ironic though, I told my son as we were looking around (specifically for rocks to skip) that “sometimes” in rocky areas like that, you can find arrowheads, but it would be highly unlikely because of the years of debris churned up and deposited because of the mill.

I’m not sure about the Lecroy. That has too much of a notch in the stem I think. The example that drew me to think it was a Stanley is this one from the website. It is hard to say because of the wear though.

Mike
      Attached Files

Comment

Good that you spotted that one, as worn as it is
        South Dakota

Comment

Good eye man. Check out the South Hampton type. nice find.
          keep on keepin after

Comment

It looks like a very water worn, resharpened macorkle or a bigger lecroy. Nice point!
            North Carolina

Comment

• PointHound
              PointHound commented
              Editing a comment
              That was my first thought when I saw it but the notch between the lobes looks a little shallow to me?

Too shallow for a Lecroy/MacCorkle I would think which is what I assume you are referring to.

the Southampton is a possibility too but on the very small side of the type.

Comment

Hey Merc! You have to take into account our rhyolite, and how different it is to knap than flint. Plus add in a long time in that creek. Southamptons in NC and VA are rather thick. Bade is definitely bifurcated, so could be a Kirk bifircated, but it's smaller which would place it into lecroy...my two pennies!
              North Carolina

Comment

I thought mccorkle as a possibility but the small size I decided to go with Lecroy
                NW Georgia,

Comment

I appreciate the thoughts. I have always had an interest in points but got into them in a big way when our museum was donated five five-gallon buckets full!

while a large majority are guilford and morrow mountain, trying to ID and separate that many points is still not something I feel comfortable with.

All thoughts and opinions are appreciated since I’m still way over my head with them!

mike

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                    SurfaceHunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Send me some then you wont be so overwhelmed
                Working...
                X