Pecked Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pecked Rock

I found this stone digging at the farm near the midden. Its 2 inches round. I found quite a few broken discoidals and a whole one at this site. So i don't know if it just a crude one. It seems to made of the same material as the whole one that I unearthed also......

Here is a pic of the discoidal that I found nearby, made of what appears to be the same material.......its about 2 inches around also, and cupped on both sides.

Comment

Very nice finds - I think your 1st post may very well have been on it's way to becoming another discoidal!
      If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

The flat ones are usually game pieces made just a little different.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine has a dimple on one side and the other just plain. Look to see if there is a dimple on one face.

Pretty nice artifact
        South Dakota

Comment

I could have soaked them both in vinegar to see what's underneath, all my rocks see is a toothbrush....

Comment

Cool
            SW Connecticut

Comment

Agree with Olden.
              Can't imagine having property with pieces like that to be found.
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• sarahsue
                sarahsue commented
                Editing a comment
                I went digging this week but only found some broken pieces. I have another field on the other end of the farm that should have artifacts also, but the test holes have produced very little debitage and flakes....

Great finds, wish I could dig a few places here in Indiana! Game piece and discoidal for sure!

Comment

• sarahsue
                sarahsue commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. I don't think you can dig in Indiana according to state laws. Those laws were enacted to keep people from digging graves which are rightly so. I have a grave right above my dig site in the woods, that was desecrated years ago. Found it one day hunting mushrooms.The rocks are neatly stacked up around it. There is a massive grave above it next to a spring that appears untouched. My farms are along the Ohio river overlooking some Hopewell mounds. Back in the day artifact hunters would check the Ohio river, for graves eroding from the banks. The head of the Historical Society in my county used to dig graves.....he's dead and gone to most likely NA hell.

Found this pic of some broken discoidal pieces that I unearthed.........I don't think the top fragment is a match to the pie. Notice the dimple in all the pieces.....
              Last edited by sarahsue; 01-12-2020, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X