Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mathews, Virginia. Mojack bay arrow head spear head help?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mathews, Virginia. Mojack bay arrow head spear head help?!

I found these in Mathews County Virginia, on a muddy beach on the north River. I have no Experience with arrow head history. I’d like to hear anything on these also if you have any questions to better assist you let me know !

The two big points look like Morrow Mountain points and they were before the bow most likely knives.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Some nice finds Grant - the larger blades are probably knives, while the smaller ones were used as dart points..
      There's a lot of contracting stem types that range from 1-4" in length.

Morrow Mountain Type II (6,800 - 6,000 B.P. Middle Archaic)

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• Grant93
        Grant93 commented
        Editing a comment
        Is a pink arrow head rare? Is there any info on the materials they used to make these tools? Where I was sourced etc

Rhyolite, quartzite and quartz is what I'm seeing. Normal for your area. Nice finds
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Nice artifacts
        SW Connecticut

Comment

The two big ones are quartzite Late Archaic Savannah River Variants. In Virginia they are called Cattle Run, or Island Swamp if the the stem is narrower and longer. Essentially the came thing and same time period as Coens-Krispin up north. For whatever reason they are somewhat common along the coast and Matthews county seems to turn them up with some regularity.

Cattle Run: tuff, rhyolite, rhyolite. Cattle Run: Top Row: tuff, rhyolite; Bottom Row: all quartzite. Type Tapering Late-Archaic Defining AttributesThe Cattle Run is a large, well made, broad ovate to […]
          Central Virginia

Comment

• willjo
            willjo commented
            Editing a comment
            Good information

Looks like you have a nice spot to hunt by those points
          South Dakota

Comment

Working...
          X