Notched Adze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notched Adze?

Don't know what to call this one. Its 3.5 inches long. Found a couple of square knives and a few chert adzes made of the same material, but this artifact is notched.....

Size ?
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Keith , you know we need a size reference ?

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      And I know it says 3.5”

• sarahsue
      sarahsue commented
      Editing a comment
      Its 3.5 inches long and probably around 1.75 wide. I gave it to one of my children in a display, so i don't have it anymore.

Looks like another square knife with spoke shave in it
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• sarahsue
      sarahsue commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes that could be whats up with this piece. Square knives were hafted like a tobacco knife....so a spoke shaven would explain the notch.

That’s a unique piece! I wonder if it was made for wood working and could have used the notch as a spokeshave or if it was notched so it could could be hafted in a wooden handle. Cool find!
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

These artifacts always make good conversation pieces because of the mystery behind them.
      South Dakota

Comment

Here is one of the square knives that I found nearby, about 2.75 inches long........made of the same material. I was thinking the one posted was a adze because it was much bigger. The material is called Brush Creek chert. About 75% of the artifacts I find are made of this material.

Comment

Those are both beautiful. Nice finds!👍
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• sarahsue
            sarahsue commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. Digging is hard work. Its all I can do to find artifacts on this farm. It was used as a cattle farm for the past 30 years. Before that it was used to grow tobacco. The cattle are gone now and it has turned into a jungle. I have a cabin at the farm to stay at when I am done digging to collapse in when the sun sets. I put a solar system in this summer for lights and whatever. Heat with propane. I only dig in the winter. No chiggers or sweat......

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            You are wise to do that in the winter time. The ground is softer also.👍👍

Could also be an unfinished point.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Looks like an adze to me.To thick for a knife.It has all the characteristics of an adze...nice find...mjm

Comment

Working...
            X