• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something or just a rock!

Click image for larger version

Name:	190B2782-86E7-4AF3-A86D-68F1DB3244D6.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	416873 Okay fellas...Been holding on to this rock for over 40 yrs now and I think it’s time to find out if it’s something or just a rock. Was found along with other artifacts along the Ohio River in Kentucky...Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by KyChipStone; 01-14-2020, 05:46 PM.
    North Central Kentucky

Just a rock. Sorry
    South Dakota

Comment

You've been holding on to that for forty years and I just happen to be the first to burst your bubble.
      Sorry
      Just a rock, I'm on the South shore of Lake Michigan and if you walk the rocky parts of the beach it's not hard to find many that are similar.
      Still a cool rock though, I pick them up to.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks guys....
        North Central Kentucky

Comment

I agree it is natural. I have a lot of artifacts with drilled holes: The holes are always perfectly round and usually cone shaped.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

http://www.uky.edu/OtherOrgs/KPS/boo...nkwebbch12.pdf check out of of 19-23 could have been a pipe that was started and quit because the person died or there was a problem with the rock. Is the hole a straight drill or same size as opening or does it get bigger in side that opening. That would be a giveaway as to a natural formation. With that said it’s probably there because they thought it looked cool too and brought it back to camp. I call them ROI’s Rock of Interest or interesting rocks that you both thought was worth your time picking up. I find out of place rocks or roi’s, fossils, colored stones, pebbles, or some weird formations all the time in midden sites, shelters, campsites ect.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT.Digger View Post
              http://www.uky.edu/OtherOrgs/KPS/boo...nkwebbch12.pdf check out of of 19-23 could have been a pipe that was started and quit because the person died or there was a problem with the rock. Is the hole a straight drill or same size as opening or does it get bigger in side that opening. That would be a giveaway as to a natural formation. With that said it’s probably there because they thought it looked cool too and brought it back to camp. I call them ROI’s Rock of Interest or interesting rocks that you both thought was worth your time picking up. I find out of place rocks or roi’s, fossils, colored stones, pebbles, or some weird formations all the time in midden sites, shelters, campsites ect.
              check out page 250-257

Comment

• KyChipStone
                KyChipStone commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Digger....A lot of good info there...
            Working...
            X