Graver or natural?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graver or natural?

Could this be a graver? I've only ever found one other and have scoured through pics online but not sure on this one.

Sometimes that type of material will be hard to say for sure what the purpose was intended to be but I think scraper.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

I could tell if in hand but if it were a graver the tips are broken off...
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Where did you find it? If you found it in an area where quartzite was commonly used to make stone tools and if found at a site where points are found made of the same kind of lithic then maybe you have a graver. If I found that at any of the sites I used to hunt, then it would just be a rock, maybe a dog rock.

Comment

Hard to tell from these pictures
          South Dakota

Comment

Those pics are tough but the second one flipped over looks like there might be some pressure flaking . You have it in hand if so I would say yes if it fits what Joe said . In an area other pieces are found .

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's a scraper/graver. As others have noted, quartz is hard to read but that piece has certainly is the right shape, size and some signs of shaping at the edge, imho.
              California

Comment

Working...
              X