Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

broken quartzite spear point preform maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken quartzite spear point preform maybe?

I found this unfinished spear point/broken preform thing over a month ago in the same area as the side notched point I found ten days ago. Both bases have the same exact curve and they both are made from the exact same peach colored quartzite. The abandoned preform looking thing was found two inches away from a broken rhyolite point that looked similar to a wapanucket point.

Might be more done than you think. Only broken. Hard to see the flaking on that material.
    South Dakota

Comment

Well, looks broken at both ends, so impossible to say the type. Correct me if I'm viewing the photos wrong, but it looks like any base/stem is snapped away completely. As far as lithics, yes, quartzite, but that's a common lithic, and the point would not need to be the same as the beauty you found at that same spot recently. Too many styles used quartzite. When things are surface finds, original context is gone. Even intact surface found points can be tough to ID, due to overlap among point types, due to resharpening changing the shape, etc. We all like to type our finds, but surface finds can make things tougher then many people, including experienced eyes, realize at times.

And yeah, going along with Gary. It's not a preform at all. It's a broken point.....
      Rhode Island

Comment

• Jhutchins
        Jhutchins commented
        Editing a comment
        O.K. thank you for your input

Also, looking at the first photo you posted, I believe we can actually say the point type would not be the same as your side notch, which we felt was an Otter Creek.
      Look at the way the blade edge is turning inward toward where the stem snapped off. I do not believe there would have been any side notching. But we do not know the form of the stem/base to say with any certainty what that missing snapped base looked like. I just don't think it was the same type as your intact point.....
      Rhode Island

Comment

I’d keep scrounging around that area !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Jhutchins
          Jhutchins commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

Those are nice finds!
        Jackson County, Mo

Comment

• Jhutchins
          Jhutchins commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

Sure do have some nice looking quartzite up there in RI.
        keep on keepin after

Comment

• Jhutchins
          Jhutchins commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!
      Working...
      X