Puzzle piece number 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzle piece number 2

Hello again from Louisville Kentucky. All points that I will be showing came from the same field about a hundred yards from the Ohio River. The property at that time was owned by my grandfather which was Over 40 years ago. My goal is to put this collection to type and period so as to learn about the people’s who utilized this area. So far a group of points typed as Steuben/ bakers creek / Lowe points made of Indiana Hornstone has been identified. So far I know I’m in the woodland period. If this site is multi occupational is yet unknown to me. Thanks in advance for your help and assistance.

These two points are made of the exact same material. One I believe to be an Adena point the other unknown. All points were personal surface collected finds.
    Attached Files
    North Central Kentucky

Good luck with the time frame any good hunting grounds will all periods of ancient people. All my finds so far are scattered in ages even a small amount of Paleo and Dalton. Late Archaic to Mississippian for the most part. Looking forward to seeing your collection.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• KyChipStone
      KyChipStone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks surface hunter...I’m sure this site will reveal multi occupational. Just enjoy searching through the evidence..

Going to take a stab at the material and say fort Payne chert. Please correct me if I’m wrong...thanks
    North Central Kentucky

Comment

Goggle a Native American book in your area and buy it .
      Best thing you can do is sit down and read about your area .
      I bought the SW Paleo Indians because I am in Georgia part of the year . That started a landslide for me to even receiving a book from a member on the pottery types .
      its a learning curve and I haven’t even scratched the surface .
      You need to get an idea about the people and movement in your area .
      Read everyone’s posts that’s another good reference . And we have a lithic and typology section .
      Have fun but most of all have patience .

Comment

• KyChipStone
        KyChipStone commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Tam...

Smaller point looks to be Dover chert and has tiny notches at the base, and would be considerably older than the correctly identified large adena point. As far as type I'm sure a KY member will have more than a guess like me. It will be exiting when you find a new type from your site! I know when it happens to me it's way more rewarding when I find a new type!
      North Carolina

Comment

• KyChipStone
        KyChipStone commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks utilized flake...Those tiny notches is what has got me stumped on the small point..Just identified a Palmer in my case and I’m stoked because it was a multi occupational site....Thanks

Little one has a well used Snyder look to it. Idk if you have that type or not.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• KyChipStone
        KyChipStone commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure about Snyder surface but I did just identify a Palmer....very cool

Fun to learn about a site. I think it adds value to your collection to have accurate information
      South Dakota

Comment

• KyChipStone
        KyChipStone commented
        Editing a comment
        I totally agree...Thanks

See looks Ike you already know if your looking for a Palmer . You had me stumped thought you were starting .

Comment

• KyChipStone
        KyChipStone commented
        Editing a comment
        No, not just starting Tam but I certainly do have a lot to learn. I really enjoy the process as well. Thanks
    Working...
    X