Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner hunter needs help identifying possible point

Hello,

I'm a beginner hunting arrowheads near a large creek in north Georgia (30 miles northwest of Atlanta) where I know arrowheads have been found before.

While it's easy to see knapping marks on some materials, I'm having a hard time with quartz.

I found this the other day and its form makes me think it might be some kind of broken point with the tip part missing, but the base intact. I can't identify knapping marks on quartz very well so I figured I'd reach out to more experienced folks for opinions since I'm a beginner. Here's some photos. Thoughts??

Thanks much!

Looks like the stem portion of a broken point made of Quartzite. Welcome to arrowheads.com
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Nice find, bound to be more there keep after them.

Comment

I put the nice base portions in my frames hang onto it you never know you might get a frame worth of finds
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Thanks all for the help. I'm pretty excited to find something, even if it's just the base, good enough for me. Can't wait to keep on hunting during my mountain biking rest breaks.

Comment

Nice it's quartz even broken. Quartz here in IA is about as common as a armadillo. Nice find, keep lookin.
            SE IA

Comment

Soon enough you will only use the mountain bike to get you to your hunting sites... It only takes 1 killer and your hooked...sometimes even a broken archaic point is enough to get you hooked!
              Last edited by utilized flake; 01-19-2020, 11:00 AM.
              North Carolina

Comment

Nice find....welcome to the site....i agree with utilized flake.....you'll be using that bike for transportation to your hunting grounds
                Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Keep hunting
                  South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                  X