Ledbetter. ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ledbetter. ?

Hello all...I believe I have a Ledbetter here made out of Hornstone...Give it a look and let me know if you agree...Thank you... Found in Kentucky
    Attached Files
    North Central Kentucky

I'm looking and I'm liking it a lot. No idea what type, though.
    California

Comment

• KyChipStone
      KyChipStone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tom..

Fits the description of one. I find them also but mine are sharpened pretty good so its hard to tell.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• KyChipStone
      KyChipStone commented
      Editing a comment
      I think with being a knife style blade they get a real workout..Thanks surface hunter...

That's what I would call it if it was found here. It sure looks like one.
    keep on keepin after

Comment

• KyChipStone
      KyChipStone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply Point...

After reading this very informative post by sailor joe and others, I can see I’m totally off base on my typing once again. I also realized I’m a splitter and not a lumper. I think I’m going to need to join the lumpers on this one and just call it a woodland or archaic knife. Base seems totally wrong for Ledbetter now to me. Well back to the drawing board. I will just have to keep reading and maybe one day I will eventually learn something.
    Attached Files
    North Central Kentucky

Comment

• PointHound
      PointHound commented
      Editing a comment
      Typing can get very confusing sometimes.That's another thing I like about this hobby, always something to learn.

Ledbetter and Pickwick is very similar I find both styles but not many nice Pickwicks.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• PointHound
      PointHound commented
      Editing a comment
      They do look very similar. I have never found either type, but was always under the impression that a Ledbetter is pretty much just a asymmetrical Pickwick?

It does look heavily resharpened. Nice
    South Dakota

Comment

• KyChipStone
      KyChipStone commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I agree.. This could just as easily be typed as a Kirk stemmed that has been heavily resharpened .. Thanks

Just my opinion but I think you were correct the 1st time and could be a Pickwick
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200120_165211.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	418208 Here is one I've found that resembles yours I believe to be Ledbetter
      Last edited by SurfaceHunter; 01-20-2020, 04:58 PM. Reason: Pic
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• KyChipStone
        KyChipStone commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice find and you may very well be right...can get confusing to me at times...Thanks

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        The stem on mine is just a little crooked just like yours and one blade side is also used more than the other. I like the color of yours.

Ledbetters and Pickwicks are essentially one in the same, only difference being the asymmetrical resharpening that favors one edge, in some early typologist mind this warranted a different type designation !?!

There is some variation in the Pickwick/Ledbetter basal config. throughout the range it's found but thats somewhat par for the course with very many types you see distributed over such a wide area so nothing to let throw you off.

I can easily imagine your point being broken midways the blade and reworked back to a useable form creating the almost crooked looking knife you have now. And maybe that's the case with alot of Ledbetters? I'm not sure but could point to the type of work load this knife form was used for... Maybe???

I like it! Thanks for sharing!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• KyChipStone
        KyChipStone commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes Josh, I can see that as well..Thanks for the comment...
    Working...
    X