• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardin has me in doubt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	417964 Found this point last year in MO and have listed it as a Hardin but am in doubt. It just is so different from my other Hardins that it has me wondering if is. The notches don't have the normal V shape and the base knobs arn't like any I have found along with the short stem and the lithics are strange for this area an d un-known to me. It is 5/16" thick with normal Hardin flaking. Have about 30 Hardins but this one has me in doubt. Any one recognize this style point as a Hardin. Stumped but sure looks like a odd Hardin to me.
    Last edited by oldrocks2; 01-19-2020, 04:45 PM.
    SE IA

Looks Hardin Oldrock. The "short stemmed" version of Hardins many times show a flared base like your point. Flaking and sticker serrations also says Hardin. Nice point, congrats on find.
    Lyle

Comment

Idk but I like it
      NW Georgia,

Comment

I'd lean towards Hardin on that.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

As usual, Lyle is absolutely correct.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

You know better that to doubt yourself !
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• oldrocks2
              oldrocks2 commented
              Editing a comment
              I know, but the base is unlike any others I have found. It has all the Hardin signs but it's just bugging me being so odd at the hafting area. Thought might be an odd type that I had never seen or a variant. Thanks.

I think that with Hardin's like many other point types from all different eras, you see that variation in how the bases are formed. I think that stems from several different factors including how long that type was made handed down and replicated and then regional variations or takes on a style and lastly the individuals own preference or skill level. In Kentucky,Tennessee and Indiana you often see examples with "knobbed" bases wich vary from the squared style you might see from Illinois or Missouri. But then again that's not a rule that stays constant because there is overlap in variations as I've seen the squared type in Ky, Tenn, and Ind...
            As for the notches not showing the typical v shape, I think it's possible that was lost when the blades edges were resharpend along with the Barbs. A dandy point you found, I'd feel completely comfortable calling it a Hardin.
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• oldrocks2
              oldrocks2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for your input. I was almost sure Hardin but the base really stands out when put with my other Hardins. Wonder if this point wandered up here from farther south somehow. I checked 2 ID sites on Hardins and youtube and photos and couldn't find the base style, that added to my doubt. And the lack of the distinct V notch. I can see where sharpening would eliminate the V notch that you mention . But with all the other Hardin attributes I could only see Hardin in my mind. The lithics are not from this area as I have no others like it. Wonder if anyone can ID it and the area it's found. Thanks to all.
              Last edited by oldrocks2; 01-20-2020, 09:31 PM.
          Working...
          X