Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time finds. Please help to identify.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time finds. Please help to identify.

Hello All! First post so I apologize in advance for any mistakes...

Over the past couple weeks I have become fascinated with arrowheads / artifacts and the fact that so much of this stuff is still out there to be found.
    After doing a little research and lurking around on this forum....I decided to go try my luck. I found what I believe to be an intact point, a broken point, and two other pieces of interest.
    Also stumbled upon this piece of antler with wear marks that to me, resemble finger holds....possibly some type of tool?

Hoping some folks can help me to learn which are (or not) considered a "point". And help to identify what type or point & material these are.

Thanks for your help!!

All found on a sand & gravel shoreline in Central Tx.

Comment

That’s a grade 10 little thumb scraper you got there, I sometimes throw in a rule for free, rule no. 12, ( remind yourself that the best stuff is yet to be found). This will put gas in your tank when you’re on empty. looks like you’re on a good site .
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• KCBTX07
        KCBTX07 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Harold! Which piece are you referring to?

Top right looks like an end scraper.
      South Dakota

Comment

• KCBTX07
        KCBTX07 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks SDhunter!

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks S D.

Welcome to the site and you're doing good for a newbie! It is fun and interesting.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Posting some better reference pics. I hate to be a bother, but any more I can learn from you veterans out there is GREATLY appreciated!!

Find# 1 - Shows what I think are signs of being worked by man...but I'm unsure of it's intended use. A point, a tool, or just left over by-product of another piece?
        I believe the material is Rootbeer Flint??

Find# 2 - Again shows signs of knapping, but I can't determine if it is a finished piece or an unused flake. Possibly made to serve as a scraping tool?
        I believe the material is some type of quartz, but I haven't been able to find enough evidence to be sure what kind.
        Lots of flint flakes & chips at this site...and this is the only piece of this material found. This little guy has me intrigued and confused lol.

Find# 3 - I don't want to be overly confident lol, but I'd say this is a finished point w/ a broken tip. It has a very smooth (almost polished) feel and the edges are translucent when held to light.
        Also I believe this is Rootbeer flint...same material as Find# 1. Can anyone confirm the material....and even better, possibly the proper name for this design?

I look forward to any insight I can get and THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!

Comment

Working...
        X