Help!! Type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! Type?

I have had several of my hunting buddies all try to help identify this one. No clear winner of that debate. Recovered from a plowed field on a bluff along the Rolling Fork River South Central Ky 3.5 inches long

Hi Ben. It is an Adena point. This one was probably used as a knife.

Comment

Nice find...nice size.....👍
      Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Nice size, the flaking looks really odd for a adena. Looks like they flaked the edges leaving the cortex on sides.
        SE IA

Comment

Looks adena shaped to me too..but isecind that, the point does have some odd flaking to it
          Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

A bit of odd flaking for any type, wouldn’t you think?
            South Dakota

Comment

• oldrocks2
              oldrocks2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup

Odd flaking for an adena, but it fit's into the lump category.
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Musta picked up a natural slab and just flaked the shape and edges, nice...
              Floridaboy.

Comment

• Ben02
                Ben02 commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m kinda offended by this statement. First and foremost passing a fake off as a real artifact is not only morally wrong but very disrespectful to the people that created these works of art. Plus I don’t have any type of artistic ability to create even the most basic point.

• Hal Gorges
                Hal Gorges commented
                Editing a comment
                Oops, hold on, I meant the Indian that flaked it, sorry . I shoulda checked the post before I sent it, Thanks for brining it to my attention,again, nice find,

Looks like a beveled edge like a older knife would have but a Adena shape. Must of been made for a special use.
              NW Georgia,

Comment

Maybe a later culture repurposed it.

Comment

Ben, I noticed you said that it was recovered in South Central Kentucky; is this a personal find? I'm asking because I don't see a location for you in your profile. I'm not familiar with Kentucky artifacts but the flaking is extremely odd.
                  🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

These were picked the same day at the same site. Probably within 60 yards of each other

Comment

After a pretty in depth research by my brother he has come to believe it is some version of a “Bradley Spike” He took it to an old timer with an extensive knowledge of points found east of the Mississippi River.

Comment

It really looks to me like it was an archaic point that should have large ears (possibly lost lake) and was repurposed by the Adena Culture into the point you have now. You can see where the ears were fractured off above the base. It is definitely a unique piece with an unusual flaking pattern. Cool find!
                        SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Working...
                        X