Old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old?

Not so sure on this guy. I'm torn between maybe a failed North blade or...something older like a transitional/ Dalton preform? Big difference in age I realize. I found it on my second site that has hinted at being an older location. I haven't found anything definitive (older looking uniface tools) and I've only been able to look there a few times. Any thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200701_225954.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	466387 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200701_191943.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	466388 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200701_234541.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	466389 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200701_234903.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	466390 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200701_234754.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	466391 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200701_234509.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	466392 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200701_234634 (1).jpg
Views:	367
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	466393
    Central Ohio

It has a few years on it. 👍 Looks like a reworked blade; probably well used. Then again they might have tried too make something else but had a hard time, the 2nd, 5th and 6th pic looks like they might have had some trouble. Still a cool find 😎
    Last edited by antmike915; 07-02-2020, 01:13 AM.
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, was thinking the same thing. Whether it's old or not, I think they had some trouble with it. Lots of finer detail on one edge. Probably put it to use as a cutting tool.

That is a tough call. The randomness of the flaking says preform. The reduction flake from the bottom or flute if it is a flute makes it look kind of like a Hilo.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      I was looking at the flaking trying to make a call from that also, but still not sure. Either way, happy to have found it and it will push me to make the trip back in the future. Thanks for the input.

No idea but nice colorful material
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Tough call for sure.... does have hi-lo resemblance..... good luck on this one.... nice piece!👍
      Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. This other site definitely has potential to produce something really nice.

Nice material. Good find!
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Red. I was happy with it. I like the ones that make you have to think a little bit.

Congrats... great find, nice looking material..
      Floridaboy.

Comment

I'm going to say it looks like a backed knife. Don't know the age though.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• flintguy
          flintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          The more I handle it, I was considering the same. Maybe didn't start out that way but was put to use. If I pick it up with my left hand, and hold it between my thumb and forefinger...all the detail flaking wraps perfectly around the exposed area and stops at the flesh of my fingers. So it's interesting that you say that. Could fit into a hafted stick or the hand. Good eye.

1st pic gave it away for me. Would of been hafted to a handle on the right side in that pic left side cutting edge. I find them once in a while but not often. Its nice
        NW Georgia,

Comment

I think this is an early piece. It looks like a large flake that was knocked off a core and intended to be made into a point, but the flake just wasn't removed right, and they attempted to thin it. But for what ever reason, that didn't work. But rather than discard it, they chipped the one edge into a knife/scraper tool. Being Paleo would depend on what else is being found on the site. You would expect to find more basic uniface tools. So an educated guess would be early, from Late Paleo into the Early Archaic, and maybe Dalton related.
          http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Thanks again Paul for the response.
            Central Ohio

Comment

• pkfrey
              pkfrey commented
              Editing a comment
              You are very welcome!! Sorry for being late. Just been busy..............

• flintguy
              flintguy commented
              Editing a comment
              No problem!
          Working...
          X