Ross blade???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ross blade???

Hello all! New here and looking for opinions on a broken piece I found last month in North Central Missouri. Personally I believe it's the base of a Ross blade made from Knife River Flint but I'm not certain. Definitely made from the finest material I've ever found and nothing I've seen in this area in the 25yrs I've been rescuing artifacts. Let me know what you all think, thanks!
    Jason from Missouri

Looks like k.r.f. To me, I couldn’t say what it once was ....nice piece👍
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• Granby68
      Granby68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

That is awesome !
    Hunting in Central Ohio

Comment

• Granby68
      Granby68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Thanks! Here's a photo of a Ross blade made of Knife River Flint. Base is very similar to the piece I found and the material is definitely not native to this area.
    Jason from Missouri

Comment

Nice find. KRF was traded far and wide in ancient times. I would bet that it traveled down the Missouri River from the Dakotas.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Granby68
        Granby68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! I knew the material wasn't native to this area, amazing really to think about how it ended up where it did!

Do you know of any burial mound history at the location you are looking? Ross blades are usually found in a mound/grave location. Having said that, it does look like one. Right material, flaking and base shape. Usually a little larger, but not always. I would guess you are pushing the furthest west range of those blades.
      Central Ohio

Comment

• Granby68
        Granby68 commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually found this piece in a creek that borders my 80 acres. My property runs along a ridge on the east side of the creek. More than likely to be burial mounds somewhere along that ridge but none that I'm aware of.

Nice intro and hope you find the other half!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Granby68
        Granby68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! Right, that would be great! Unfortunately it was a creek find so I probably have better luck at winning the lottery lol.

How thick or thin is your piece?
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Granby68
        Granby68 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd say it's probably 3/16" to 1/4" at the most. Very well made piece for sure.

• clovisoid
        clovisoid commented
        Editing a comment
        That is pretty thin. It certainly could be Hopewell, and they did make some smaller Ross & other ceremonial bifaces in smaller sizes. (The Ohio ones are shockingly large.)
    Working...
    X