Hard stone something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard stone something?

I usually roll these big stones over and look for signs of grooving and such.... if smooth I leave them. This seems polished to me but for what? Is it just a smooth rock? I left it, but will retrieve if you think it’s an artifact.
    Hunting in Central Ohio

Don't think it's modifieed but if found on a productive site they might have used it for pounding. Just a guess. Looks natural.
    SE IA

Comment

Don’t know what it is but it’s cool looking....
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Probably glacial
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

The side your not showing might be what we need to see. Hammer stones will have some damage but there is a difference between use and breakage
          NW Georgia,

Comment

It was broken in half guys. This was the interesting side. It was in the area of that early archaic stuff I’ve been walking this week. Figured it was worth posting for opinions. Thank you!
            Hunting in Central Ohio

Comment

Agree with Greg, probably glacial till.
              Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

It is possible that it's one small end broken off a larger roller pestle. Or the top of a broken bell pestle. There won't be any grinding marks, just some left over pecking. I won't disagree, but I would wonder about it really being glacial till.
                http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• pkfrey
                  pkfrey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If this was glacial till, then the field should be littered with fist sized cobbles, or larger, of a variety of different rock types.

I just don’t know Griff, if I were attracted to it, I’d prolly brought it home anyway....
                Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Looks to me like a broken quartzite cobble. They liked using these for hammer stones. I do not see any pecking on it.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

A couple of you mentioned pecking...what does that look like?
                    Hunting in Central Ohio

Comment

Working...
                    X