Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small Mystery Points, Central NC - Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Mystery Points, Central NC - Help?

Hello friends! Found these 2 points within a foot or two of each other. Was wondering if I might have stumbled onto a cache but had limited time to look any further. I hope to revisit this spot tomorrow and scratch around some more. Very small - I nearly missed them. A reminder to flip every flake!!! Cool material as well, I'm really pleased with them. However, after looking through Overstreet, I have no idea what they are!!! Stemmed, not corner-notched, and so small. I assume Woodland era but I don't see any Overstreet examples that fit very well. Central NC/Eastern friends, can you help with any ideas on type? Found in Chatham County. Thank you all!
    Central North Carolina

I believe those would be considered Adena types. Cool finds!
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• HikerGalNC
      HikerGalNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much for the advice!

Well HikerGal..Now ya got a pair of earrings,, maybe the centerpiece to the necklace is there also...p.s. nice ones..
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Can’t help you with type..... but they are a couple of nice arrowheads. Good eyes spotting those li’l buggers......👍
      Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Nice little points
        Wyoming

Comment

Most like what S.C. book calls small stemmed points, and says they are from excellent examples to poorly made. Generic arrow points.
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• HikerGalNC
            HikerGalNC commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Willjo, thanks for the tip! There are indeed some small points with similarities in the Overstreet Gulf Coastal section, which includes some of SC.

Those are probably dart points and not arrowheads. They do have an "Adena style" stem but I'm not familiar with much of your NC points and the Adena culture likely never got into present day NC. They are actually very nice and probably not part of any cache. I would think they are early to middle Woodland in age. But that is just my WAG. Dandy little points. There are probably more nearby. Happy hunting!

Comment

Nicely made points I find quite a few that size but none like them. Most of mine are late Woodland. Good eye
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Nice finds Mel!
              SW Connecticut

Comment

• oldrocks2
                oldrocks2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Deleted

Don't thik they are adenas. Adenas are Hopewell points and you arn't really in the Hopewell area. They are almost for sure arrow points. Probably woodland. Nice finds.
              SE IA

Comment

• sailorjoe
                sailorjoe commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi oldrocks2. Although we haven't been able to ID these points to a particular known type, stemmed points as these are characteristic forms of points made from late Archaic thru middle Woodland times or a bit later. As such these points could not have been arrowheads as the bow was not in common use in in what is now the southeastern USA unitl late Woodland times. Therefore these little points are dart points. The only true arrowheads that are known from NC are all small Woodland triangles with one possible exception being the Jacks Reef Corner notch.

• oldrocks2
                oldrocks2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, brain not engaged this time. Should avoid commenting on points that are out of my area and area of knowledge. You are correct.

Nice finds, no idea the types but love the material on the right.
              🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Hi HikerGalNC those are some unique points. The material sure is pretty reminds me of material I find in the NC mountains but probably just rhyolite that hasn’t had time to patina. As for the type I’m not sure but they remind me of the more unusual Randolph forms. If you don’t have Coe’s book Town Creek Indian Mound I would suggest it for it has the best pictures for triangle ID and Woodland point ID. Some Pee Dee arrowheads were side notched but thinking these are different. I’ll post a pick of the Randolphs that have a different form then we are used to. Just my thoughts and something to explore great finds! Click image for larger version

Name:	6D3B11F2-E7F7-4444-98D9-52FCEA59F0BA.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	471888
                N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• HikerGalNC
                  HikerGalNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Sugaree, I do not have Coe's book but will definitely do some looking into that! Appreciate the tip!
              Working...
              X