My little treasures; Glass Arrow Heads ??? Maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My little treasures; Glass Arrow Heads ??? Maybe

I found these glass treasures in the back of Vacherie, Louisiana in the cane fields. They are all worked and I am wondering if anyone may have knowledge regarding glass arrows. These all have the same curvature on the same side.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Bayougold; 07-20-2020, 06:11 PM.

The first piece looks to have some edge pressure flaking but can't say for sure . I can't see anything on the other pieces, better photos. I saw an arrowhead 30 yrs ago found by a collector that I knew his honesty was 100%, It was made from a insulator like was on telephone poles and was without doubt an arrow head, very crude and would of been probably made in the 1800 hundreds. Can't make a call on your pieces as photos arn't good enough, scrapers at best,
    SE IA

Comment

I agree with oldrocks, can't tell much from the pictures; outside light might help. Anyways if they are anything they're not ancient.
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Could of been someone practicing lots of new people start with glass
        NW Georgia,

Comment

I've probably posted this before, but authentic knapped glass artifacts have to overlap with Native Americans using stone tools, and in most of the US those things only line up in a few areas. Stone technology was replaced by metal tools pretty quickly, so that lens of time is often only 30 years or less in many areas. The stone age effectively ended in Virginia, Maryland and north to Massachusetts in the late 1500's or early 1600's. In California Ishi was among the last 1911. Everything else basically falls in between those dates.

Some things like glass coca cola bottles or old TV screens aren't old enough to have been used by Native Americans using stone tech. (Ishi hypothetically could have used some early Coke bottles, but it was probably still just a regional drink back then.) I think one of the green pieces you posted shows much more modern patterned texture, which comes later than stone age tech in your area. If you've got one piece of modern glass in there, I'd suspect you've got a beginning knappers trash pile or maybe just some oddly broken glass.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve looked for a glass arrowhead my whole life. No dice. I have found many glass scrapers but I think they were made by NA people , slaves of buffalo hunters, killing off the NA food source....
        Working...
        X