Big Biface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Biface

Any thoughts on what this might be? Found at a site with 2 Kirk points (pics included for fun) and lots of quartz debitage. It's kind of an amorphous biface... if it was smaller, I could see it being a blade or a drill, but I can't really decide what to call it right now. Think it was associated with the Kirk stuff, or something more recent? It reminds me of little drills/scrapers that I've seen at Morrow Mountain sites.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2095.png
Views:	174
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	472322 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2096.png
Views:	171
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	472323 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2012 copy.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	472324
    Attached Files

Tough call silvereel....im not sure....i do like the points....maybe someone will come along and help you out....thanks for posting
    Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

I'm not sure either, the points are nice though.
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

I will give a guess. I think it's a preform they were working on it but never completely finished probably was going to be a point when done like the others you have found. Quartz is very hard to work.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Cool little points!

I hunted a site where ancient people quarried material like that, and it was full of pieces similar to yours . Some of that material is "rotten" in that it will look pretty solid but has an internal crack that will fail under torque/pressure. Often times you can hear a dull sound when knapping them vs a higher pitched ring.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
          X