Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Find, Beautiful Material, Help with ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Find, Beautiful Material, Help with ID?

Hello all - had time for a hike/hunt this afternoon and found this beautiful slick black point. I love this material, since it seems rare here. Typically I find green rhyolite. This one was found on a sandy creek bank with just the very tip sticking up. Another reminder to flip everything! So shiny it's difficult to photograph. I'm guessing Brewerton or Taylor but looking for help with ID. Beveled both sides, both edges. Also on the material, is this chert? Where would it be from? Definitely not local to Chatham County NC. Thank you friends!
    Last edited by HikerGalNC; 07-31-2020, 04:57 PM.
    Central North Carolina

Wow that’s really cool
    New York

Comment

good looking little bugger
      Wyoming

Comment

Congrats that ones a beauty, can’t beat that material
        can’t help with I.d........👍
        Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Hardaway Palmer in my honest opinion. Nice find Looks like Knox chert to me.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Definitely Knox chert, found enough of that stuff on cousins farm in east Tennessee.
            Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

What a beautiful point, ..Very Classy..Good for you...
              Floridaboy.

Comment

That's a great point. One of the better ones I've seen posted on here lately.
                Last edited by flintguy; 08-01-2020, 12:30 AM.
                Central Ohio

Comment

nice, love the black material. Pretty rare for me to find as well.
                  🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

That’s a beauty of a triangle
                    Warren County New Jersey

Comment

Here’ some interesting reading about black chert in North Carolina. Chatham county N.C. is closer to Wrightsville Beach than Tennessee. So odds are if that point is authentic you have a really nice Hardaway Palmer made from a really rare material.

Nice!

Von

Comment

• HikerGalNC
                        HikerGalNC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wow, great article, thanks so much! Wrightsville Beach is literally 2 hours drive from where I am, so actually quite close by.

I have a few arrowheads from N.C. made from similar material and I buy what I come across especially when I’m down east. It’s weird because most folks think they are from somewhere else or fake. I pick up many of them up cheap. All I know is this was a different place at the end of the last ice age. Here’s a tidbit from Mindat that’s kind of interesting.

Mindat.org is the world's leading website about minerals and where they come from.

Comment

• HikerGalNC
                        HikerGalNC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for this one as well! Now that it seems possible that this material was pretty common around here, I think maybe there are more points to be found but I just don't spot them. I tend to be looking for greenish and quartz colors, and black doesn't pop out at me very well. I find it very hard to see (eyes are getting older here).

• Tam
                        Tam commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nice von good info

That is just killer... You rarely ever see early palmer cross types serrated like that! Really cool point. I bet you're stoked to add that to your frame! I think I've seen that type in one of my books...ill get back to you with ID.
                      Last edited by utilized flake; 08-01-2020, 06:27 AM.
                      North Carolina

Comment

• HikerGalNC
                        HikerGalNC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you my Wilmington friend! I nearly fell over when I flipped it. Thought it was a shark's tooth at first, haha. I appreciate any and all advice.

• utilized flake
                        utilized flake commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Patrick Henry point. Named by Jack Hranicky. See how the base flairs out from the middle...woooo. Rick joke! But seriously that Knox is a great material for a great find!

• HikerGalNC
                        HikerGalNC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wow, sure does look similar! Thanks for the tip!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200801_084049-1.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	474837
                      North Carolina

Comment

Good find Mel. Congrats!
                        SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                        X