Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Find, Beautiful Material, Help with ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note for Von. I wonder why a geologist was not named in the article? Just a side note here, Black flint was carried here on ships for a long time in the early days of the colonies. American ships carrying goods to the UK would get loaded with barrels of ballast from the white cliffs of Dover. and likewise British ships coming here for goods who had nothing to bring in trade would be loaded with that rock and it was just dumped over board once arriving here. I had a bunch of it in amoebic form found scattered on the beach in Stamford CT. The piece in that guys hand although a poor photo looks to me like a core that someone was striking gun flints off of. Could have come from an early ship wreck.
    I will stick with Knox chert on my opinion. I have a clovis I found in Sandy Hook CT which is made of Munsungan chert. Munsungan sources in the state of Maine 450 miles from where I found the point. It was not traded in my opinion the hunter made that point in Maine and as it was used up by the time he trecked south he disposed of it in Sandy Hook CT. Late paleo people were not so different from the earlier paleo peoples highly mobile and moved often in search of resources and game. Your point may or may not be knox chert. I think it would be easier to hike to the mountains for Knox Chert ( something they knew was there) than to dive in deep ocean water looking for something you might only find by accident.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hi Hoss,

That sounds plausible and I’ve wondered why this story just seemed to fade away with no follow up or real conclusion? There were several stories written about this discovery . They were said to have found a natural out crop of this material at the mouth of a inlet that was dry land thousands of years ago. There would have been no need for the Indians to go diving to get the material.

Could they have found a ship’s ballast or a shipment of gun flint that was lost in a ship wreck or something? I don’t know but sure would like to know what they really found?

Von
      Last edited by Von; 08-01-2020, 08:48 AM.

Comment

WTG Gal !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Wonderful find HikerGalNC sure is a beautiful chert!
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Really rare find from what Von gave you and yes your so right flip every chip .

Comment

That's a beautiful find. Take a pic with a piece of red felt behind it and make a new avatar. Looks like a Hardaway type to me as well.
              NW Georgia,

Comment

• HikerGalNC
                HikerGalNC commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks SH, I really should do exactly that! Maybe I'll have time later this week. It's a beauty of a point, definitely a once-a-year find for me LOL.

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                My one nice find a year is my new avatar. Actually probably my best in the past 2 years

• HikerGalNC
                HikerGalNC commented
                Editing a comment
                That is amazing material! Love it! Racing stripes.

Great find! Don’t forget to put it in July find of the month contest!......👍
              Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Great find, love it!

Comment

I may have let a profanity slip out when ogling that....truly a beautiful piece.😇
                  Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Jethro355
                    Jethro355 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did it start with “Holy” and end with something that smalls bad??😬🙀

• HikerGalNC
                    HikerGalNC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes!!! How'd you know? Maybe the universal expression for us crazy obsessed folks!

• Jethro355
                    Jethro355 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s my go-to when I’m surprised and/or excited...so I assume everyone does exactly what I would do.🥴

Gorgeous!

Comment

HGNC, that is stunning! I live in Wake Co half the year and Warren Co (north central part of the state) half the year-- never been lucky enough to find one made of such beautiful material...bravo!

I did find a point in early August in Warren Co before joining this site that I think is the same type---I haven't been able to identify it. Mine is regular old rhyolite and very worn but I think it looks extremely similar. Has ground base and then some basal thinning on one side Click image for larger version

Name:	20200816_175250.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	478951 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200816_175154.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	478950 ​​
                    NC

Comment

• HikerGalNC
                      HikerGalNC commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi there, great to see another NC resident on the forum! I agree, that one looks very similar to the one I found. I'm leaning towards Utilized Flake's call of a Patrick Henry type. There are a couple photos in the Overstreet book for ES region that match it really well.

• pointwolf
                      pointwolf commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the warm welcome! I did some searching yesterday after reading the thread and uf's post and agree on the type--- however, I have little doubt yours is the most stunning example of the form an NA ever made!

• HikerGalNC
                      HikerGalNC commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It may be the best point I've found to date, and the black chert is really amazing material. I've found a few other items made of similar material and it's always a thrill. Not that I don't love chalky greenish yellow rhyolite! I can't wait for the water to drop again so I can check that spot for more, haha.
                  Working...
                  X