Can anyone date this pottery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone date this pottery?

See here pottery piece found on neolithic site, any idea of date...could it be neolithic?

That’s hard to say from a picture.

could be much later pottery on a previously occupied site. While not unheard of, Neolithic pottery is rare, as survival For 5-10k years under most conditions is difficult.

Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

For a sec I thought I was looking at a piece of bone buts it’s a nice rim piece.

Comment

Painshill would know more about stuff from your side of the Atlantic than most of us.

These lines look pretty even, sometimes indicating wheel thrown pottery. Might be later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	475643
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Difficult to say, in my opinion. No reason why Neolithic pottery doesn't survive in burial conditions here. We have quite a lot of it, including intact pieces and its much more common in the south of England than in the North. It has the general form you might expect to see on the rim of a Neolithic carinated pot, but that style persisted for a considerable time... into the Bronze and Iron Ages. Without some decoration to go on, all we can say is that it's not grooved ware or impressed ware and the shape is not typical for Beaker culture.

It appears to have been produced with a coarse organic temper that has burned out during firing which is a good sign for early pottery. It's conceivable that the ridges noted by 'clovisoid' are primitive decoration produced by cordage wrapping of wet clay, in which case it might be Neolithic. Maybe some really close examination with a high-power loupe will tell you if that's the case, or that the marks are from production on a wheel. It it's wheel produced it's more likely into the bronze age or, more probably still, into the iron age.
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
          X