Found while searching lake among a lot of flakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found while searching lake among a lot of flakes

These shells were found in north Al. The lake has only been here for 50 years and is the head of a major river. These shells look like oyster almost just wondering what y’all think maybe a camp site or something

Maybe freshwater mussel shells. Did damming create 50-yr old lake? Know your big river not new, and you can bet great resource for local ancient People. (“We’ll eat dinner tonite, and make jewelry outta leftovers tomorrow!”) You should still be able find mussels there unless creation of “new“ lake altered river’s environment too much.
    Last edited by Cecilia; 08-05-2020, 03:10 PM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Very impressive grasshopper...Must add, intrusive white men camped on indian site, found arrowheads, had snack, left trash as is custom, and continued on they’re merry way, Lol.

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, yep, ashamedly so true!

Oysters are not a "now here's a Native American camp!" sign I'd go by, especially because these do not look that old. Oysters were eaten by everybody and anybody, from prehistoric times to today. That said, if you start finding flakes or other artifacts you might be on to something.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

They are not oyster shells they look like them, I’ve seen my fair share of them and then why would they be on a private lake 300 miles north of the gulf no houses and hardly any people there they were about a foot deep in the mud when I dug them up

Comment

There is a fresh water type of oyster that lives in the creeks here. I've never found a living one just the shells after the coons got them. They look just like the saltwater type. Might be the same type.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Could be just weird finding them where I’m at never seen any like these. Plus it was in a pile of flint chips I dug up

Comment

Working...
          X