Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the heck is going on with these two?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck is going on with these two?!

Hi everyone,

Okay so I'm really at a loss for these two. I've done hours and hours of researching but can't make a determination.

​​​​​​Specimen 1: Is it a fake?

Serrated projectile point, possibly agate(?). Very deep serrations, seems to be of cottonwood leaf shape? Maybe dovetail stem, but it doesn't look like there is much of a stem or indents for a shoulder or anything. There is some material or coloration where one side of the indent could be.

If anyone could share their opinions on authenticity of this one and origin that would be awesome.

Specimen 2: What the heck kind of shape is this?! Is that intentional chipping around the sides? What is going on with this thing, is it just a rock?!

Seems like quartz, seems to be chipped around the sides intentionally, possibly some big chips other places. It is not flat, however, and there is no stem of any kind. One side is very flat while the other has two segments coming together like a 3-sided bayonet or something.

Mostly just wondering if this is just a cool rock or was it worked on, and if so what could it be?

If anyone needs more pictures please let me know, I could only upload 8. Thanks!

Comment

I'm not sure of the type on the first one. Looks like a small boggy branch type 1...but they are usually larger and only found in a small spot in the South by the Gulf. The second piece seems to be a classic flake. It has the bulb of percussion, ripples and bulbar scar. I included a good diagram from the internet. That bulbar scar proves it is definitely a man made. That only happens from a hammer stone strike. Click image for larger version  Name:	20200808_153847.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.8 KB ID:	476600
      Central Ohio

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        they call it erailleur scar on this example.

Piece #1 looks like a modern attempt at making an arrowhead by someone who is not a highly skilled knapper. Piece #2 looks like a uniface scaper that because of its small size is often called a "thumb scraper" from what I can tell from the photos provided and would be a Native American artifact. I've found many made from chert but never saw one made from quartz. But I could go along with the opinion of flintguy if I saw better photos cause I think that is another possibility.
      Last edited by sailorjoe; 08-08-2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Wow thank you so much guys!! You literally rock!

Great news on the quartz one! So a scraper for things? Interesting!

Is there any way to tell definitively if the serrated one is a fake? I thought it might be but there is that bit of sediment on the bottom part that looks like it has been accruing for a while.

I was going to give it as a gift but I don't want to give a fake arrowhead! What does everyone think?
        Last edited by Curiousaboutartifacts; 08-08-2020, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I wouldn’t gift it to a friend, it could be embarrassing later on down the road.,laugh it off and go find some arrowheads , and a big welcome from Florida ...
          Floridaboy.

Comment

The 1st point may be repro, or likely a Guadalupe. Nice.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
            X