Help Identifying collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identifying collection

We recently built a house on our riverfront property and have come across tons of points and other artifacts. I have only been able to identify a few but I believe that it was a multi occupational camp site. We have not dug anything but alot of dirt was moved around during construction. The whole property is littered with flint naps and nutting stones, have also come across alot of what I believe to be "fire rocks". Sometimes I'll rake leaves in the woods around the house and I find broken points and flakes everywhere, even where the ground hasn't been dug out. Any information would be appreciated and let me know if you need more information.
    Attached Files

I am located in TN, i'll take some better pictures tomorrow, still have a bunch more that I did not include in pictures. The last 2 pics in my previous post is what appears to be a pipe. There is a hole drilled all the way through the center that comes to an opening at the top on the opposite end, could definitely smoke out of it. Could also be a fishing weight though.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuffaloArtifacts; 08-09-2020, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Hello Buffalo, Welcome from Georgia. I'm not familiar with point types or material types from Tennessee but I would dig there until I couldn't dig anymore 🙂. Those are some nice finds, looking forward to seeing more.
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Here are a couple of the nutting stones I've found. There were 6 of them right next to each other on the surface, guess these guys really liked nuts.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Mike, I look forward to finding much more and I’ll keep everyone posted. We’ve found all of these in just the past couple of weeks. I’m new to this and know very little about digging and wouldn’t want to damage the site, seems like the dozers broke most of the points where the dirt was moved around, I find the full ones on the surface nearby. I’m sure I’ll try digging at some point, just after a lot of research and will need some buddy’s to help.

Comment

Welcome from Florida, you ain’t gonna ruin the site, and the archeologists from your state have so much of those kinds of artifacts they don’t give a hoot...Some museums sell or give em away...From what I’m seein it’s not a burial mound, so no worries on private property, but google state laws to make sure.. I know you’re finding em , but they should be deeper in the ground for a couple of thousand year old pieces, that’s a little strange, am I missing something ?, p.s.your on one heck of a lifetime site, don’t leave nuthin in the ground... how big is the property, ?...are they washing out of the River bank, ?,.Well, the answers should make it more interesting...That’s a nice drilled gorget...Nuff for now.thanks for sharing.
            Floridaboy.

Comment

I am dumbfounded...the array of stuff you have there wouldn’t allow me to sleep at night...

pic 3 might be a plummet or net weight. Super nice.
              pic 5 is a very nice chipped adze I think...jeeeez man, I see a broken banner stone, I’d die hunting for the other half of that thing.
              theres a couple points in there that look pretty old...some better pics will help, and also when a couple of the guys from TN wake up and see this, you’ll get lots of help and likely lots of volunteers for help as well...
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Looking at the lithics, I’d guess you are in south central Tennessee?
                if you don’t find something made from Horse Creek Chert, I’d be surprised..
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Nice! Only a few are lucky to have artifacts laying around and at your feet like yourself. You have the book, spend some time browsing through it. The base is your first indicator of type along with other diagnostics of a point. Congrats.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Nice! Gotta love having sites on your property.
                    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Uhhh, you’ve forgotten to include your address....Plenty folks like to visit !
                      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I am on 6 acres, some of the site extends into our neighbors property, who has given us the ok to surface hunt it. There’s a large gravel bar at the bottom of the bank, which is where I found the broken banded slate pendant, so not sure on the logistics of finding the other half, but I’ve definitely thought of it. Everything else was found on the surface of the bank, I’m sure it was all flooded over at some point. There are caves nearby that have sadly been dug out, not by the property owner either. Still all sorts of flint naps up in the caves though. There was actually an archeology dig in linden county not to far from my site, they were remodeling a bridge and found artifacts so they ended up doing a dig and found thousands. We’ve had the property for 20 years, and used to find them every now and then but we built the house directly on the spot it seems like, no telling what’s underneath the foundation but the camp extends out along the river bank thankfully so still some spots to dig. One of the workers found an 8 inch full blade, looked like a steak knife and he brought it home with him. Didn’t know about it until he was showing me pictures of it the following week, I was pretty upset. Even offered him $200 for it which he declined, axxxxxe. I’ll post some more pictures soon. I’ll also look back through that book and see what I can identify.
                        Last edited by Hoss; 08-09-2020, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• Hoss
                          Hoss commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Welcome to the forums Buffalo I love seeing your artifacts. I have to ask and because you are new here it is not a warning it is just a friendly reminder to everyone we are a family site. We have at least one member who is only 8 years old. so please keep that in mind when writing comments on our forums. Thank you . Welcome to the forum.

I would be telling that worker to bring me that 8 inch knife back and also tell him he should be giving me $200 so I don’t call the cops and charge him with theft! He would be lucky if he didn’t have a unfortunate accident with a hammer that caused several broken fingers!
                        Warren County New Jersey

Comment

Time to tear down the house! Gotta see what’s under there lol! Looks like you found an awesome site! Can’t wait to see what ya pull out next. If that 8” blade was found on your property then I would not be as nice as you. Remind him that you must have landowners permission to hunt or remove artifacts from private property by law.
                          SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Hi BA and welcome to our forum. I am very excited for you. Your area on the Buffalo River in western mid Tennessee is an area very rich in Native American sites as you well know. My old hunting grounds near the Tenn. River in north AL has the same type artifacts as you are finding and I can easily identify by type name many that you have shown us. Your site is very rich in Early Archaic type points and many are fine examples of them. I can see Lost Lake, Eva, Kirk and others. There may be some mid Archaic artifacts there also. The hardstone artifacts are amazing as well. The little grooved axe is a dandy. As far as the man who took the artifact from your property without your permission, that is theft. Of course what you want to do about that is your decision. You certainly can demand its return. If he was a workman and not the contractor on the site then if it were me and the artifact was worth the trouble then I would contact his boss. You living in a small town or rural area with folks usually knowing each other then one may have other things to consider. I look forward to your future posts.

Comment

Working...
                            X