Help With This One Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With This One Please

Not sure about this one, maybe a core? I find a lot of those around this spot near St. Louis County Missouri. Near a dry creek, found in the side bank. Not sure what type of rock? Appears to have been worked. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0792.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	477028 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	477029 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0794.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	477030 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0795.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	477031 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0795.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	477032 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0798.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	477033
    Missouri - East Central

Cool and definitely worked. Was trying to get the most out of that band of finer material. those minute workings could have been used as a tool.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• 1-Derer
      1-Derer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tom, I appreciate the help!

Pic. 3 down appears to have been worked, for whatever reason I know not...Another thing that caught my ,eye was, all them little new looking flakes, it looks like the whole piece was recently split Weathering usually removes most of those.., Could be that it was a complete artifact before it was split, and that small area in pic. 3 is part of the original whatever...I don’t know...I’m just tryin to think it through...keep on lookin.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• 1-Derer
      1-Derer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hal, that's interesting. It definitely caught my eye too. I'll keep looking, Any idea what type of rock it is?

No idea...
    Floridaboy.

Comment

There is a lot of decent quality chert in your area, and a whole lot more poor quality chert. The best way to tell the difference is to give it a couple of whacks to see what it looks like under the cortex.

Maybe it was used as a quick tool, maybe some knapper was just testing to see if was a good piece, or it might have been part of the "rind" knocked off a bigger chunk. But it does look like an artifact to me.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Nice material, I bet someone would list this as a sock fossil on Ebay. It does look like it was knocked off a bigger piece and some pieces knocked off of this. Cool find 😎
        🐜 🎀 SW Georgia

Comment

Working...
        X