Argillite spearheads or knifes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argillite spearheads or knifes???

Finally got out of work at a decent time so I took off to my new dig site for a couple hours. Found these two about 2-1/2 feet down in the sand right on top of each other
    Warren County New Jersey

The elusive "double". I'm jelly.
    Western Kentucky

Comment

Hi Hbird, What you found is a cache. Whenever you dig 2 or more points together you have a cache. What I see looks like the last stage preforms. Nice find. Kim
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

You got the luck, Bird, itโ€™s hard to find two of anything...nice ones
        Floridaboy.

Comment

I would say preforms also but if they have secondary flaking they would be knives. One thing for sure it is an outstanding cache find! Congrats!
          SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• HBird
            HBird commented
            Editing a comment
            The problem with Argillite is it is so soft it wears down very easily naturally so itโ€™s hard to say if there was any secondary flaking. The material is so soft it was starting to breakdown in my hands as I washed it

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, if itโ€™s Lockatong Argillite, we find it often as well, and it deteriorates rapidly, apparently.

Great finds good way ta end a day.
          Utah

Comment

Good going congrats!
            SW Connecticut

Comment

Must be nice to dig and find. The soil here is red clay I hate to even try and dig a hole just to plant a bush. Glad you found a couple
              NW Georgia,

Comment

• HBird
                HBird commented
                Editing a comment
                I just started trying my luck out with digging this summer. I donโ€™t know how I keep getting so damn lucky finding stuff. Itโ€™s not like I have a excavator and a screening plant. Most of the time all I have is a shovel, a small 3 prong handheld garden rake and gloves.You do really well finding them in the water so you are obviously in the right creek now you just gotta get up on the sandy high ground and commence digging

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks I actually found one today not the best shape but I will take it

• HBird
                HBird commented
                Editing a comment
                I got back to the dig site but got poured on after about 20 minutes. I did find a couple possible scrapers

Nice finds ๐Ÿ‘Œ
              ๐Ÿœ ๐ŸŽค SW Georgia

Comment

Nice digging
                Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Hbird, Not quite Petales blades, but a good start to finding more. Possibly a much large cache lies buried there. keep digging!!
                  http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Nice finds. Might be Morrow Mtn type. Like was already mentioned, argillite rarely holds it's fine work after years. Those are large size! And probably mid to late Archaic period. Thanks for sharing.
                    New Jersey

Comment

Working...
                    X