Unidentified Artifacts and Material Types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unidentified Artifacts and Material Types

• I have been hunting points for close to 17 years off and on, I started in Middle Tennessee with a mentor hunting under rock shelters. Nowdays, I primarily surface hunt along creek banks and I had a couple of caves that I'm not sure are legal so I no longer go to them. There are so many artifacts that I can't identify and materials that I don't know it's easy to get frustrated. I've figured out some of the artifacts' purposes and a few of the materials researching and reading. Any other suggestions would be great.
    Last edited by Volfannumber1986; 09-28-2020, 09:32 PM.
    Anderson County, Tennessee

post some pictures of what you have, alot of good knowledgeable folks from your area will be able to help you out.
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• Volfannumber1986
      Volfannumber1986 commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't quite figured out how, but I'm going to have my fiance help me probably tomorrow. She is much better with technology than I am. It's all a little much for me.

Welcome from Florida...lookin forward to Future posts.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Not sure about Tenn, but all caves in Ky are off limits. Legally speaking. If you disturb the floor, you risk stirring up bat guano that can be dangerous to other bats. (So they say) At any rate, I'd definitely check local laws when it comes to caves.

Cant wait to see your collection. #BBN!
      Western Kentucky

Comment

Thanks man, as far as I know it isn't illegal to enter caves here but I'm pretty sure unless you have a cave on private land you're not suppose to dig around for artifacts. The ones I have found inside were really before I even realized there were laws about that type of thing. Y'all will like some of my artifacts, but most of my really good ones we found out on the Cumberland Plateau in Crossville, Crab Orchard, and Jamestown which are in Middle Tennessee. There is a huge difference in the quality of artifacts found in a good digging spot and primarily surface hunting like I do now in my opinion. I hunt in my home county BC I'd like an idea of what the prehistory was like here. Unfortunately, the actual archeological sites here were located before TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) started building dams and now the sites are all inundated as far as I know. The Oak Ridge Archeological Research Institute says verbatim that the "central interior and mountainous northern regions" of Anderson County have an "almost unknown archeological record" and this is exactly where everyone of my spots are.
        Anderson County, Tennessee

Comment

Get your gal over and post pics. In the future, try to take situ pics of the artifacts. Welcome to site !
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Volfannumber1986 View Post
            Thanks man, as far as I know it isn't illegal to enter caves here but I'm pretty sure unless you have a cave on private land you're not suppose to dig around for artifacts. The ones I have found inside were really before I even realized there were laws about that type of thing. Y'all will like some of my artifacts, but most of my really good ones we found out on the Cumberland Plateau in Crossville, Crab Orchard, and Jamestown which are in Middle Tennessee. There is a huge difference in the quality of artifacts found in a good digging spot and primarily surface hunting like I do now in my opinion. I hunt in my home county BC I'd like an idea of what the prehistory was like here. Unfortunately, the actual archeological sites here were located before TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) started building dams and now the sites are all inundated as far as I know. The Oak Ridge Archeological Research Institute says verbatim that the "central interior and mountainous northern regions" of Anderson County have an "almost unknown archeological record" and this is exactly where everyone of my spots are.
            Hi Volfan.- Welcome and learn the ropes here. It took me awhile to figure the site out and I'm still learning. Post Your find when you learn how to do that. Now I'm not telling you what to do, Just a suggestion. Record your sites with the proper Authorities, Oak ridge in your case. Most State and Research Institutes, will keep your site information private. It's really hard for others to look at their site information. In the long run it can protect those sites from being inundated by construction. By registering your sites you could very well save them from destruction. Plus add to the research criteria. Kim
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Welcome to the site.....go vols.....look forward to seeing your finds....... nw middle tn here
              Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Working...
              X