Another NJ questionable...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another NJ questionable...

Here is another unknown that has my mind wondering. Same field that has produced for me in the past.
    Any thoughts?
    thanks

Wouldn't mind seeing the flip side. My hunch is it's a very rough and ready chopping tool. I think I see work on the 'blade'. Is it a basalt type stone? Or maybe I'm dead wrong and it's just nature playing a tricks again.

You are holding it. What do you think ?
    California

Comment

Here is the other side and another view.
      I wish I knew what it’s made out of... but I’m not sure.

To me I see some worked areas, but it’s not as clear as the typical jasper percussion strikes I am used to seeing.
      thanks Tomf

Comment

Really hard to make the call on this one for me. I think you are going to get a lot of folks dismissing it as just a rock and they may well be right.

It reminded me of this ancient basalt chopper I found last year....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200130_094024.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	496845

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200130_094034.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	496846

Not exactly the same but still.
        California

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Very similar! Knapping on yours very clear, tho, even to me....!

Just a rock... posing as a artifact....
        post the others you have found in this field.
        more info plz.... high ground? Low ground?
        distance from water source would be helpful
        Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Originally posted by Up-north View Post
          Just a rock... posing as a artifact....
          post the others you have found in this field.
          more info plz.... high ground? Low ground?
          distance from water source would be helpful
          That particular item was found on high ground in close proximity to a stream.
          Here are a few other things found on same property.

Comment

Now I’m seeing some artifacts.... nice finds.
          keep on the hunt....👍.... ✌️
          Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Thanks North

Comment

Hi Skyhawk. Is there a river or fair sized creek near by this spot? If so I think it might be a Clam Shucking tool. I have found several of these. Too intriguing to leave behind, so I put each one in the site box for those sites. One day while reading one of my Bureau of Ethnology I came across these Clam Shuckers. Took them to the State Museum. They showed me some that they had, thay matched right up, and so does yours. Kim
              Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

I thought maybe something in the making. I have one knife that literally split down the middle and instead of throwing it away they made it into a cutting tool. Yours kind of made me think about mine when I saw it. Is the one side worked along the edge? Pictures really don't show it if it is.
                NW Georgia,

Comment

Yes SurfaceHunter. I tried to get picts that showed the edge work. It just didn't come out well. You have to hold them in your hands to see the flaking. These were used on freshwater clams. Kim

Comment

• UpNorth
                    UpNorth commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Really????....c’mon man....✌️

Yes Up-north it's a fact. But they are only found near a source of clams. These types of things are often overlooked. As I collect any site, I always keep anything that doesn't belong there. I add them to the site box, because sometime in the future it may become apparent as to what it is. I'll try to find some picts of them for you. Kim. This Pict isn't the best but you can see at the description Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2541[1].JPG
Views:	222
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	497408 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2541[1].JPG
Views:	161
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	497409 on the bottom.
                  Last edited by Mattern; 10-18-2020, 02:23 PM.

Comment

A clam shucker is very interesting. There is a fairly large stream close by, so it would make sense. A couple more pics that might show edge work.

Comment

With that material its probably something you will have to decide for yourself. I would put it in the maybe pile.
                      NW Georgia,

Comment

Hey Sky if that was found down around my neck of the woods that might be considered a waller knife. I'm not familiar with material from your area but that piece has the shape. Definitely hang on to it.
                        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Working...
                        X