Found Object

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found Object

Trying to identify this object I found in a stream bed in Montgomery County, AR.

Fossil vertebra ?

Comment

I was thinking a old brick
      NW Georgia,

Comment

I would agree with Surface, I thought old brick as well.
        Central Ohio

Comment

No idea, sorry, wish i knew everything about anything, nice find.
          Floridaboy.

Comment

yup. water worn bad.
          SE IA

Comment

It definitely seems like stone, not bone or brick. Also seemingly deliberately drilled and grooved. Did you see the pics below the link? My hubby remembered seeing similar objects in Native American museums but couldn’t remember the names or use. My googling didn’t produce much either. He posted it on another forum and general consensus was an arrow straightener. If so, it’s definitely not super common. Would love to know!

Thank you for your input!

Comment

I think it may be an insulator but all the ceramic surface is gone.

Not identical but close.

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by ladyofhillsboro View Post
                It definitely seems like stone, not bone or brick. Also seemingly deliberately drilled and grooved. Did you see the pics below the link? My hubby remembered seeing similar objects in Native American museums but couldn’t remember the names or use. My googling didn’t produce much either. He posted it on another forum and general consensus was an arrow straightener. If so, it’s definitely not super common. Would love to know!

Thank you for your input!
                The groove seems way too wide to be an arrow shaft straightener....
                Rhode Island

Comment

• ladyofhillsboro
                  ladyofhillsboro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  True, meant to say spear

Hi Ladyo.-. First welcome to the site. 2nd, This still could be a shaft abrader for spears. Before Archery equipment became common. The spear was the weapon of choice. They too had to be smoothed out before use. The abraders for spear shafts were larger than the ones we find for arrow shafts. It also may just be a rock. Kim
                Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• ladyofhillsboro
                  ladyofhillsboro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think you may be right. It’s hard to capture on camera but the grooves are polished so smooth it almost looks like they are lined with putty. Definitely too big for arrows but would be just right for spears. After I found it, I couldn’t wait to get back to signal to learn all about it haha. Was very surprised and disappointed to find so little to go on. And as a lifelong rock hound, I can’t accept it’s just a rock.

Thank you so much for your insight. And the welcome!

Just tryin to help ladyo.- Kim
                Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Working...
                X