Hand axe??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand axe??

Hello, I am fairly new to this and although I’ve been doing my research I don’t trust my newbie judgment yet on human worked vs natural so would like some help with with identifying this item. I found it in lake county in Northern Illinois and to me it seems like a hand axe, am I anywhere close? Thanks in advance!

Interesting find will leave it up to someone in your are to id it
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Hi Neil. May I be the first to welcome to Arrowheads .com. I did look closely at your Pictures. I really don't see anything that reminds me of an axe. Others on the site may see something that I don't. To me it just looks like a rock. Keep looking and keep learning. Kim
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Welcome from Iowa. Your find looks natural to me. If found on a area where other worked items have been found it might of been drug home with a bone smasher in mind but looks un used so would have to call it natural, Keep lookin.
        SE IA

Comment

Welcome from Florida...when you find something and you have a theory, ask yourself, would I use it for that, kick the ole brain in gear, after a while it’ll come easy.keep on lookin.
          Floridaboy.

Comment

Hi from Missouri, I am new to this too. The thing that I think is helping me identify tools is looking for the "lithic flake" scar or evidence on the stone. Most of the time it is a nice curve with smooth ripples. This is the sign of knapping or tooling the stone. Google or youtube for some good info. The tool could have many flakes taken off of it, or the tool could be one massive flake.

Then I am looking for "microflaking" in the edge of the stone tool that seems like the edge most likely to be worked. This shows that the tool was actually used.

The pictures you show might have the lithic flake scars, but look weathered. Was this found in a creek?
            Missouri

Comment

All I see is a rock. Sorry. Keep after em
              Western Kentucky

Comment

Welcome from Georgia, i agree with above comments. Keep looking 👍
                🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Working...
                X