Creek walk, more weird tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creek walk, more weird tools?

Found in creek bank/bed in St. Charles county, MO. If there is something that you want to see closer, let me know. I know nothing is too fancy but the obscure tools make my mind wonder.

scrapers? a hoe? very curved flake tool? Two hammer looking tools?

When researching these tool shapes why is it that it seems like these types of tools are all primitive, even look like some neanderthal tools? Someone mentioned its because there is a ton of flint in my area so they could use and discard much more than other areas?
    Last edited by ebrakespin; 10-20-2020, 10:53 PM.
    Missouri

Thanks for showing...You have a lot going on there...Just wondering about no. 7 bottom of flake, those 7 small strikes were struck at a 90 degrees angle, which most knappers never use, seems like he went all around the piece making downward strikes , not accomplishing anything useful in the way of a tool, I don’t know what that was all about, maybe someone else can sort out your collection, once again thanks for sharing, always up for lookin.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe young knapper, doing own thing? .....Gotta learn...

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Maes sense to me C.

Interesting tools
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I read in one of my books the closer you get to the center of the rock the bigger the curve .
      makes sense right . All the knappers are laughing at me as they experience that every day but I would not have thought of that .
      Now when I pick up a knife or tool and I see that I understand why .

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Tam. You’re knapping? I am glad.

I tried knapping once. Shoulda tried earlier. Poor dog Oliver didn’t have googles; I gave him cut under eye.

E, you are in PRIME territory. By all means, keep looking. You're gonna find something good, I'm sure
      Western Kentucky

Comment

Thanks guys, I just keep finding more obvious tools and trying to figure out their use. The more I research the more I keep getting pointed to pre-clovis looking tools. The history around me is pretty substantial. From woolly mammoth finds with the tools that killed them, to Cahokia mounds (the largest Native American site north of Mexico) all within a 30 mile radius from me. The Big Eddy site in Missouri is further away, but they think it was constantly inhabited for 12-14 thousand years. If the area around me was inhabited for even a fraction of that time, I could see why i find so many tools. Its mind boggling. I just wish I knew more about them. But from my recent researching, it seems like even the experts are still learning.
        Missouri

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, the archeologists are always debating. But you’ve come to a great site. Once I figured, there are many collective centuries of collecting here, and experience seems to count ......
      Working...
      X