Gorget, ear spool or nothing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gorget, ear spool or nothing?

Hey all.....had the holiday off today, so i hit up a spot that i like to call the pottery site....i found some pottery today but also think i found a gorget or ear spool....this is about the size of a half dollar, maybe a tad smaller and i believe is made out of slate....about 1/4 inch thick....ive included pics of both sides, dirty and cleaned up a bit.....and a pic of some of the pottery, notice the quarter in the pottery for size.....what are your thoughts on this piece?...super thrilled if this is indeed an artifact outside of points...thanks for looking Click image for larger version

Name:	20210118_170601.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	525940Click image for larger version

Name:	20210118_170626.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	525941Click image for larger version

Name:	20210118_170652.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	525942Click image for larger version

Name:	20210118_170729.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	525943Click image for larger version

Name:	20210118_170712.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	525944Click image for larger version

Name:	20210118_170807.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	525945Click image for larger version

Name:	20210118_170748.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	525946Click image for larger version

Name:	20210118_165749.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	525947
    Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

interesting peice .hmmm.
    Utah

Comment

Maybe something like an ornament ,large bead something worn nice find congrats
      NWOhio

Comment

Another cool piece Benji... can’t say what it is but my first thought was a pendant... maybe some more will pop up in the future...I like...👍
        Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Looks like a drilled pendant to me also! That’s a good find!
          SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Also agree with pendant, that is a excellent find.
            🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

I've never found one but I have held a couple from a friend's collection. He called it a pendant. Very nice find
              South Carolina

Comment

Pendant is as good a call as any, although a Google search shows some wicked ear spools that kinda look like that. Makes my ears hurt just thinking about it.
                Last edited by Havenhunter; 01-18-2021, 07:26 PM.
                Child of the tides

Comment

Awesome find Benji! Congrats!! Some type of ornament or maybe even a button off a pouch or garment.

Comment

Cool piece of slate...I like the pottery sherds. Nice finds man!
                    SW Connecticut

Comment

Hard to say what type of stone it is but I'd go along with the majority but I've never seen one like it before very unique find Benji.
                      NW Georgia,

Comment

Well I'm thinking the material if isn't creek stained black might be Canel Coal which is a material they used for carving pendant types of artifacts. Its similar to slate but doesn't split like slate does. Still a stellar find
                        NW Georgia,

Comment

• Benji
                          Benji commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not sure surface....but i see a lot of slate lying around...so i guess its slate, but dead on with stain...it definitely has miles of being under water and algae stain....just so happens...it was not under water today

I don’t think it’s an ear spool, as they would need a groove or concave rim to hold them in place, but it is a beautiful bead/gorget/whatever it is. LOVE the color..
                        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Very cool find!
                          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Nice find.
                            It also has the functional shape of a spindle whorl..

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• Cecilia
                              Cecilia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I was reading about spindle whorls coupla days ago, and that’s first thing came to my mind when saw this beautiful whatsit!

• Olden
                              Olden commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The Whorl wouldn't have to be from the Historic Period: there's an interesting report at JSTOR about cloth production beginning in Mississippian Times. Scroll to the bottom of the pg. at the link..

Spindle Whorles and Fiber production at Early Cahokian Settlements
                              JSTOR is a digital library of academic journals, books, and primary sources.

• Cecilia
                              Cecilia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              O, yes, I know! (I also think plummets were loom weights.....)
                          Working...
                          X