Couple of broken points - ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of broken points - ID?

North Central Arkansas, found close to each other.
    My best guess is a Ferry, Big Slough, Big Creek, or Snyders. I’m curious how old they are, but there are different date ranges for these different types and I don’t know how to tell the difference, or if it is even one of those at all. Any help appreciated!

First one:
    Last edited by BoilerMike; 01-22-2021, 01:08 AM.
    Central Indiana

Second one. I found it last year, and can’t believe I didn’t realize it was reworked before I took photos of it tonight. I just thought it was broken, but because it is reworked on both sides all the way to the tip, I suppose that makes this a nearly (just ear damage) whole point and not a broke!

The only part that looks obviously re-sharpened to me is the really small pressure flaking (?) on the edge. I suspect that’s because when the tip fractured it left such a nice, thinly tapered front part that it didn’t need much work, despite the damage being pretty significant. Can anyone say if this is an impact fracture? That would be my guess, but don't know if the point was too large to be used as an atlatl dart.
    Last edited by BoilerMike; 01-22-2021, 09:29 AM.
    Central Indiana

Comment

What else have you found in the area Mike? It might help get a better idea on dating and naming these.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
    X