Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elwa river pendant?? Ancient our modern??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elwa river pendant?? Ancient our modern??

Found this next to the bank walking up the Elwa river in washington state. Is that a modern drill hole??? Also dont have red obsidian here in washington state. Any ideas??
    Attached Files

Very unusual item !

Comment

I've never seen anything like it. At least, not a drilled one. If it's authentic, it's wonderful.
      California

Comment

Looks like the piece was worked and thinned at the hole end and didn’t need much drilling, maybe a pushed, crushed, twisted around type hole...Looks like a pendant of some sort to me.
        Floridaboy.

Comment

Also can see little lines in the drill hole, very close tight lines all the way through the hole. If that helps to authenticate/ debunk. Thanks for the help
          Attached Files

Comment

That’s nice. Material has a jasper look.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Looks like an old polished jasper stone pendant. I have seen similar pre 1600 Poverty Point jasper pendants from Louisiana. That’s an outstanding find!
              SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Well its hard for me to say but by the looks of the drill hole on the one side it looks modern to me. I've never heard of them drilling flint or jasper but I'm not from your area either. When you use a cement drill bit on a hard stone type it will cause a shatter like the one side is showing. But listen to other responses and see what they say. I'd like to think its real cause sure is pretty material.
                NW Georgia,

Comment

• flintguy
                  flintguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was thinking something similar.

Think the material is red mahogany obsidian pretty sure. The drill hole seems modern but the flaking looks old! Theory maybe someone found that then drilled a hole on the top and lost it by the river??? But def not native material for Washington state!

Comment

Hello Spear, that's a good question. Is that material common there. This is just my opinion but going by the insitu pic (#1) the material looks out of place. I've never found a pendant but I would think the hole would have some patina like the rest especially if found on a river bank, it definitely looks more recent. This is just my first impression, I really hope I'm wrong.
                  🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

No not common material! But have seen other obsidian points from washington state/ Jasper points. More common in eastern washington. Im closer to the coast. Any flint knappers out there have any idea of age our/ style?? Our if its a fake/ modern maker maybe??

Comment

I can’t make a call on modern or ancient. Sometimes a material uncommon in your area doesn’t automatically disqualify an item as being authentic. “Exotic” materials were traded far and wide in ancient times. Old or not it’s a cool piece.
                      Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Cool find
                        Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

I can’t make a call on modern/old where the hole is concerned, but would find it odd that anyone would drill a piece of a flaked lithic, and toss or lose it on a riverbank. Which doesn’t prove a thing, just seems like an odd bit of happenstance. Someone finds a lithic flake. Decides to drill it. Loses it on a riverbank.
                          Rhode Island

Comment

Cool find!
                            SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                            X