South Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Jersey

Rained yesterday and I took advantage. Walked a field in south jersey and found a few things. Sticking my neck out on a possible ID to see if I got it right.....

Scale is 1" blocks. Thinking the point is a Jasper Beekman. The other broken point looked like it would have been nice.

Thanks in advance.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	jj-04-11-2021 (3).jpg
Views:	414
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	547567​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	JJ-04-11-2021.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	547568Click image for larger version

Name:	JJ-04-11-2021j (2)pg.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	547569

I'm not familiar with many NE points...but if that was found here... I'd think it was on the early side of the age spectrum. Really nice point! I'm looking forward to members thoughts from your region!
    North Carolina

Comment

Can’t help... but, I like....✌️
      Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

The flaking and form isn't quite there for a Beekman triangle. Beekmans are normally very triangular with Woodland flaking, more precise. The random flaking on this is earlier, and if you look close, unless it's just in the photography, your point appears to have two small notches started in the base. This may have been intended to be a notched base point, possibly an Oley or Erb basal notch. The other one is any one's guess. Maybe a thin Kirk or even a Perkiomen.
        http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Originally posted by pkfrey View Post
          The flaking and form isn't quite there for a Beekman triangle. Beekmans are normally very triangular with Woodland flaking, more precise. The random flaking on this is earlier, and if you look close, unless it's just in the photography, your point appears to have two small notches started in the base. This may have been intended to be a notched base point, possibly an Oley or Erb basal notch. The other one is any one's guess. Maybe a thin Kirk or even a Perkiomen.
          I tried....
          I understand what you are saying, makes sense - hopefully in due time, I'll put it all together and notice the identifying nuances. Thanks!

Comment

Does that triangle have a couple tiny notches on the bottom? That would be an Eshback. Not common but occur in S Jersey.
            New Jersey

Comment

Kayak - I tried to play with the lighting to show better detail. I'm not able to determine if there are notches at the base .... maybe these close ups can help. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	close uop1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	553785Click image for larger version

Name:	close up 2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	553786Click image for larger version

Name:	close up 4.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	553787Click image for larger version

Name:	close up 5.jpg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	553788Click image for larger version

Name:	close up 6.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	553789

Comment

Couple nice finds....I like the red and cream colored rock...I got a point made outta that found here in Ct.
                SW Connecticut

Comment

Great bonus picks. Typology is not always clear. Put it in a case for sure 😃
                  New Jersey

Comment

I'm thinking Eshback as well. Nice Jasper. Kim
                    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Mattern
                      Mattern commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It looks like the base was smashed and reworked.
                  Working...
                  X