First find, not sure what I have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First find, not sure what I have

Hi, total newbie here. I dug this up while gardening today in Monroe, CT. Any leads? My gut says it’s in too good condition to be a “real” arrowhead but wanted some experienced eyes on it. Thank you!

It's real alrighty. CT collectors will chime in.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Looks like an Adena point to me nice find . Welcome to arrowheads.com I grew up in Shelton.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Flint Eastwood
        Flint Eastwood commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought the same Hoss.
        Flint

Bueat of a find for your first now go plant something else and find another
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Nice point congrats on ur first one ...welcome...I'm going to a wake in monroe tiday
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Agree with Hoss, looks like an Adena. Nice point. Welcome.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome! Wow, so chuffed to find out that it’s real. Really thought it must have come from a museum gift shop or something with its condition, never just stumbled upon anything like this before. I emailed the new CT state archeologist too. First but hopefully not the last.

Comment

Welcome.
              I agree with it being an adena. The lithic looks like onondaga chert from NY. A really really nice find and probably more to come if you extend the garden and dig deeper. I live in shelton not too far from you.

Comment

Welcome from Michigan. Killer find!!!
                Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Nice find! It looks water worn. Was your yard a creek at one time? Congrats, it looks real.
                  New Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by kayakaddict View Post
                    Nice find! It looks water worn. Was your yard a creek at one time? Congrats, it looks real.
                    I’m not familiar with the geography of the area, but based on a quick search it appears that the (very small) Pequonnock River runs through my neighborhood. I think it’s certainly possible that at some point in the last thousand years or so it went through my yard!

Comment

Welcome from Georgia, excellent 1st find
                      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Heard back from the state archeologist today. As expected you guys were right on the money!

"That is a really interesting projectile point. It is categorized as an Adena Point, and it looks to be made of a non-local stone, probably a type of chert found in Ohio. The Adena culture is associated with a mound building society centered in the area of modern-day Ohio (also West Virginia, Kentucky, and I believe parts of Indiana and western Pennsylvania). It dates to about 2700 to 1200 years ago. Adena points are pretty rare in New England, although they have been found. The idea is that the points and other aspects of Adena culture reached our area through wide-reaching trade networks. It is a pretty amazing thing to find in your garden!"

Comment

• Uncle Trav
                          Uncle Trav commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Now your hooked real good. Now get back out there and have fun!

Nice find mauspas..welcome to the site
                        Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Welcome to the forum Mauspas. That really is a great first find! I agree with the others Adena. Kim from Central Pa.
                          Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Working...
                          X