Capstone or anvil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capstone or anvil

I’m leaning toward natural but am posting just to make sure since there is an indentation on several sides.
    Attached Files

Well, I can tell you that our Massachusetts Archaeological Society’s handbook on New England artifacts includes, in its section on “pounding equipment”, a class of artifact known as a “pitted pounding stone”. As first described by William Fowler: “This type of pounding stone usually occurs in large sizes….It has wide circular pits pecked out on its two opposite faces, and sometimes on both of its sides as well.” Fowler felt they were an implement used in crushing and kneading clay. I have found a couple with 4 pits, two on the faces, two on the sides. I would have to hold yours in hand, and I have only ever seen a few, but would not surprise me if you have something similar.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• MoGarde
      MoGarde commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the information, I really do hope it is something like the pounding stone you described.

Definitely man made. Pitted stones are common in my region. Can I post a Picture like the one you have? Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• MoGarde
      MoGarde commented
      Editing a comment
      We haven't run across a pitted stone or anything similar to this one. I am glad we decided to pick it up and bring it home.

Agreed.
    Kim helped me ID a neat find earlier this year.
    Mine was an a taser stone with 4 pecked impressions.
    I believe that is what you have my friend.
    Attached Files
    northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

• MoGarde
      MoGarde commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for sharing your photo. We haven't run across an artifact like this one before.

This one is very much like your find. Yours is kind of rare. One pit is common but three is rare, excellent find Mo. Kim
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3219.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	562995Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3220.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	562996Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3221.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	562997

Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• MoGarde
      MoGarde commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank You!

I like it. Cool
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Great information Charlie .
      Great find .

Comment

Cubic nutting stone is what it would be called here in Georgia. 2nd to last photo looks like soapstone. Is it tan or silver in color?
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• MoGarde
          MoGarde commented
          Editing a comment
          It's tan in color

Yes, I think there is no question the pits on the stone were the result of either use as a hammer, or use as an anvil. I think it would be very much like the far right cuboid example seen in this illustration:

Name:	A62C4663-4F8B-4C53-9528-26B8666C0E72.png
Views:	293
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	563108

Now, there is a different type of multiple-pitted stone, which does not show battering in the pits, but does show some battering on the ends. This is apparently the type William Fowler described as a “pitted pounding stone” This is my best example. Each of the 4 pits were pecked into the sandstone cobble, but the pits do not show use as a hammer or as an anvil stone. But slight battering on one end. This is the type Fowler thought was used to pound or knead clay, with the pits used as finger grips.

Name:	FBBFF251-CF5F-4D7C-8A56-6AC6DFF9704C.png
Views:	272
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	563109

Name:	71126691-BD99-4B87-8F06-4CDE55163FDF.png
Views:	260
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	563110

Showing all 4 pits:

Name:	27778495-49F1-4B15-9AB4-B39A6FF045B2.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	563111

Name:	9A00CD57-7611-407A-B529-A260B2552EE1.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	563112

Name:	A6028D95-9079-4A8E-AAF0-92AF12494B2B.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	563113

Name:	E3DA9999-801C-465F-B147-F5068C913720.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	563114

So, there are different types of pitted stones. Many of us are familiar with what we often call “pitted hammerstones”. The battering is usually at the ends, and the pits are on the faces of the rock. My example may be a variant of a pitted hammerstone, with 4 pits, and perhaps used as Fowler suggested.

The rock that is the subject of this thread could have been either a pitted hammerstone, or an anvil stone, as seen in the first photo of this comment. Clearly, those pits have been battered into the rock.

It’s a nice find by any name.

Rhode Island

Comment

Thank You

Comment

Cool . I’ve got a bunch in East Tennessee most of mine are pitted nutting stones or hammer stones . I’ve found many larger anvil type slabs or nut processors . Good save

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for your input! I loved seeing everyone's examples! I've learned a lot. So glad i didn't leave it there thinking it was natural like i almost did!

Comment

Working...
              X