Chisel? Adze? Whetstone? Just a rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chisel? Adze? Whetstone? Just a rock?

Found this stone at the confluence of two central PA streams while fishing in an area that had well-documented native american settlements. I have asked several friends and have gotten several different answers.

Welcome . You will probably get several more different answers here. Looks like a wet stone to me.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Clever! I need whetstone for wit, coz took me reading twice to get! The sharpness of forum very attractive, indeed!

Welcome Sy. Geologic process and running water can really perform some miracles. I would have grabbed it also for further examination but I agree with Hoss. Cool as heck geofact though...great convo piece. Just what swims in those central PA streams anyway?
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• syoung17
      syoung17 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Lots of great trout streams here in central PA.

It does look like a whetstone.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, it does! ….unless of course needed too-long too-thin doorstop to wedge open teepee flap …

It doesn't look like any whetstone I've ever seen, but then it doesn't look exactly like any artifact I've seen either. It does look man made however.

Comment

If you don't mind Stan. Here is a wet stone I found when I was young. Though it could very well be Native. It could also have been used to sharpen or true the edge of a Scythes and Cycles in the field by a farmer. Notice the high polish. Kim
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3232.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	564068

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3229.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	564067
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• syoung17
        syoung17 commented
        Editing a comment
        Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I see you are in Snyder County- I’m over in Centre County.

I don't mind at all, but that doesn't look much like a whetstone either, it looks too smooth, soft and waxy, no grain to sharpen. Of course I may be totally wrong, not seeing it in hand. It certainly has been used for something though. It almost has a soapstone look to it.

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't believe it was used to sharpen a Cycle, just to clean up the edge. Kind of like a leather stroup. I've seen them on farms in the tool sheds.
    Working...
    X