No announcement yet.

Ulu type of tool? Natural or man made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ulu type of tool? Natural or man made?

Found in Williamson county Tennessee

looks to be worked possible a scraper of some sort.
    Utah

Comment

What kind of stone is this do you think? Found in Williamson county Tennessee

Comment

looks like basalt . is it a creek find ?
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

cant really tell the material has a basalt look to it
          Utah

Comment

Yes Found in a creek

Comment

Third pic looks like it’s worked .
              Hoss ? What do you think

Comment

I’ve been looking at it and I am on the fence with it. I can’t say 100% it’s a artifact or just a beaten up creek rock with a nice shape. I’d put it in the maybe pile
                NW Georgia,

Comment

• Mailman
                  Mailman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same here.

Edge looks worked, but has spent most of its life in that creek getting water worn. Probably a chopper.

Comment

Could have been a chopper. Not an ULu . It is unlikely you would ever find an ulu this far south. I read an article back in the day that said the technology for slate ulus started in the North Eastern states and then moved north into Canada and then west. Pretty sure the article was about the Otter Creek site in Vermont. Funk and Ritchie both had solid dates as far back as 6000 years BP and one find in Maine I have been told was as early as 7000 BP. They are more frequently found with assemblages from the coastal maritime culture of the red paint peoples. Less frequently found with otter creek and other middle archaic side notched points. These dates are far earlier than the ulus found in Alaska . Ulus were thin and made of slate and it is thought they were used to process fish.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thx y’all!

Comment

Working...
                    X